A Big Mac (Macintosh that is) experience

laurenc319

Hi all,

Yesterday I stopped in my local audio dealers store to pick up some 14 gauge speaker wire. He had on hooked up and on display Macintosh's reference system. I have never seen or heard anything like it. The retail price is $200,000 !!! The speakers are over 6 feet tall and have 6 12" woofers and vertical arrays of 36 and 24 ( I think, there were a lot of them ) 1" dome and 2 " cone tweeters and mid range speakers. They weigh hundreds of pounds each. The enclosures were made of some high tech plastic or polymer and I could hardly feel any cabinet vibration at SPLs of 85 to 90 db. The power amps produced 2000 watts and were hooked up to a to individual power supplies a preamp and another module which I don't know the function of. The amp system took up a 6 to 7 foot wall. I don't know what cd player he used a source.

The amps were cranking out about 30 to 40 watts a channel with transient peaks of 200 to 300 watts a channel at the SPL described above. Imagine having 1800 watts in reserve at this loudness.

The sound was glorious ... rich, full detailed and life like. Gut impacting bass which did not mask the mids or highs. Imaging was very precise and there was great width and depth to the sound stage. It's really hard to describe the experience .. but it was one which I'll remember for a long time.

Too bad I don't have 200 grand under my bed.

good listening

Larry

hi,

The store I went to also does a lot of home theater business, I guess that's where he makes most of his money, but thankfully the owner is still interested in keeping his high end audio business going. He sells only Macintosh electronics and a larger array of speakers. A fun place to stop into occasionally.

Larry

I'm almost afraid to hear something like that. I'm reveling in my RF-7/QSC setup now. I don't want to hear something I'll never be able to afford that makes my current setup sound like crap by comparison. [st]

Oh well. I'd jump at the chance to drive a Ferrari I can't afford. Don't know why my audio desires should be any different. [:P]

hi,

On jazz and female vocals if you closed your eyes you would think your in a club listening live ,,,, I've been to many jazz clubs in Philadelphia, NYC and in Washington DC and it was like being there again. As for rock .... most of it today is amplified and played through a large array of speakers so what you hear is not like the presentation of sound in a small club. I didn't hear any classical on the system but my guess is it would have been fabulous.

Larry