HARMON KARDON 430

DIXIEWELDER

JUST PURCHASED A HK 430!

I ALREADY HAVE A LATE 90'S KENWOOD 100 WATT (I DOUBT IT )

AND I AM OBTAINING A SANSUI 711, I THINK THE GUY HAS THE #'S WRONG?

ANYWAY WHAT DO YOU'LL THINK ABOUT THE HK 430? REALLY WANT SOME INPUT ON THIS SUBJECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST FOR SOME 83 CORNWALL'S!

JUST WONDERED!!!

JOSH

It is an awesome little receiver... especially for the money one must spend for them. They work quite well, have dual power supplies for the electronics. You might find it sounds more powerful that other receivers.

They seem to work well with Klipsch speakers. If you have any specific noise issues, there are some capacitor replacements that can be made to clear them up, and a qualified tech should be able to do the surgery.

Someone posted a link to the tech manual for this. If you can't find it, I will share again.

Bruce

Bruce,

Of all the great press I've heard on the HK 430s, this is the first time I've heard anyone mention the noise issues. I picked up one of these receivers second-hand a few years ago and absolutely loved it...until I hooked up a CD player. Once a CD player was connected, it developed an awful popping sound whenever the receiver was turned off. It wasn't the CD player nor was it the cables. I'm just curious. Is this the noise issue you mention? If so, I may consider giving the 430 another try and look into the upgrades.

• Moderators

Below is a link to a recent H/K thread. Within this thread you will find two more links regarding H/K receivers. Both of these threads are very informative and should help you guys out.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/3/954362/ShowThread.aspx

Be sure to read through the threads carefully and link onto to the thread outlined in the posts.

Be sure to repost here and let us know if this information helped you.

BTW, we have a H/K 930 powering our Cornwall IIIs. Forum member arfandbark sent us the H/K 930 as a wedding gift back in December 06.

Prior to receiving the H/K 930 we were powering our CIIIs with a Yamaha RX V730. Yes, the difference in sound is amazing. The Yamaha now powers our all forte II surround system and the 930 is for dedicated 2 channel.

BTW, welcome to the forum guys.

I have had my AVR430 for 4 years or so now and I love it. I have used it for HT, powering Lascala's (front), Cornwalls(rear) and Heresy's(center). Now I use it to power my RF-83's. It has a warmth to it I didn't realize until I got my NAD power amp. The NAD doesn't touch it in my opinion, it has a "muddyness" to it that the HK doesn't. It can't compete with my 2 ch. setup, but for everything else it is great and I have never had any noise issues with it. We have an xbox360, DVD Sat. cable box, Wii and TV routed through ours and it does a great job. When this one goes to HiFi heaven I will probably replace it with anothe newer AVR.

mowntnbkr,

The HK 430 receivers that this thread is directed at are the original series from the mid 1970's. Your HK AVR 430 is a much more recent product, having been around for only a few years now. If you like your AVR 430, then you should try out one of its original namesakes for stereo listening, you will be even more surprised! HK saw the popularity of its vintage "x30" receiver series a few years back and I am quite sure that was the reason for the resurrection by HK of the "X30" moniker for HK's more recent line of Audio/Video Receivers. There is a world of difference between the original line and the current AVR line.

Bruce,

Of all the great press I've heard on the HK 430s, this is the first time I've heard anyone mention the noise issues. I picked up one of these receivers second-hand a few years ago and absolutely loved it...until I hooked up a CD player. Once a CD player was connected, it developed an awful popping sound whenever the receiver was turned off. It wasn't the CD player nor was it the cables. I'm just curious. Is this the noise issue you mention? If so, I may consider giving the 430 another try and look into the upgrades.

My 430 is quiet, but the one my son has does make some noise. Most notably when first powered up, even after a minute, a change in the volume control causes some noise that is similar to a dirty pot. If you leave it alone for five minutes, it doesn't do it. DJK posted which caps needed to be replaced for specific symptoms. Neither one is as clean sounding as my 2A3 amps, but the H/K amps didn't cost as much either. The H/Ks DO have a lot more power. [*-)]

Bruce