Dynaco ST 70

musiclover

Just purchased Juicy Music Peach from fellow forum member and sounds great with my Dynaco ST 70. I've had the ST 70 about 7 years. How can I tell if it has had any upgrades or not? It looks like has original transformers. I am using the following tubes: Mullard EL 34's NOS, 2 EF 86 Bugle Boys, 1 Mullard 12AU7 and Mullard Rectifer. On the board where the EF 86 and 12AU7 go, it has 6 black (i guess capacitors) which have on them 630V, MKP-FC, France 95. I didn/t look underneath. I want to get the best performance I can from the ST70 with the Peach. I am pretty content with sound now, but always open to suggestions for even better sound. I also have 1985 K-horns. Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated. David.

Hi:

Congrats on the Peach purchase!!

In regards to the ST 70, I would take a few pictures of the unit, inside and out, and make sure to get a good clear picture of the wiring and post it on the forum.

Craig (NOS Valves) and others will be able to give you a pretty good answer on what mods, if any, have been done.

JJ

Is this one of the major upgrades or are they other that might improve performance even more. What do I look for underneath to know of any upgrades? I would send pic, but don/t have digital camera. Thanks. David

DUDE! You have a PEACH! And you didn't tell me. [:'(]

OK, now I'm JEALOUS!!

you should send that ST-70 to Nosvalves for a 'tune-up'. You would be glad you did. Really.

really!

woo

p.s. I'm very willing to spend other people's money.

Sorry, not had it very long. They are nice. Holler at me when you are over this way. I/ve been reading on here should replace caps on k-horns after 20 yrs. Mine are 1985, but still sound fine to these ears. You ever replaced yours? Think my crossovers are Ak-2. Looks kinda complicated to me. David.

PS. Don/t tell Jane bout the Peach, as kinda snook it in, lol. She would think i/m insane, lol. David.

Sorry, not had it very long. They are nice. Holler at me when you are over this way. I/ve been reading on here should replace caps on k-horns after 20 yrs. Mine are 1985, but still sound fine to these ears. You ever replaced yours? Think my crossovers are Ak-2. Looks kinda complicated to me. David.

PS. Don/t tell Jane bout the Peach, as kinda snook it in, lol. She would think i/m insane, lol. David.

mum's the word. About crossovers... I have ALK crossovers in my khorns, and buddy goodness yes, they made a HUGE difference. On a pair of my Cornwalls that I took down to Hope, AR in September 2005, Daddy Dee's Heresys had MUCH better sound. I purchased a pair of Bob Crites Crossovers, (type B) and had them put in on the spot... WOW... what a HUGE difference in the sound.

Like you, I thought they sounded just fine until I heard the difference.

I recently let BS Button, who lives in Bowling Green, use my Khorn ALK crossovers and I put the stock, 30 year old AA's back in them while he listened to the ALK's on his La Scalas. It was almost like putting a curtain in front of the speaker.

I'm pretty sold on the ALK's, but you have to drop some coins for them. I got mine used for $400 (I think). The standard rebuild is way less. I tell ya what... I'll bring my crossovers over next time I visit and we'll hook 'em up. See what you think. While you might not want to buy a set, they'll definitely let you know what a crossover rebuild will lead towards.

Somebody here'll pipe up if the ALK (standard ALK) won't work for your horns, but I think they will.

woo

For the ST-70, the schematic (with EF86's) can be found on the Triode Electronics website. See link below.

http://www.triodeel.com/dyna1.gif

http://store.triodestore.com/dynacoupgrades.html

They also have a decent amount of information amount Dynaco ST 70's and possible upgrades to the amp. So if you are a "do-it-yourself'er" this is a good place to look for additional information and popular upgrades.

CSB

For the ST-70, the schematic (with EF86's) can be found on the Triode Electronics website. See link below.

http://www.triodeel.com/dyna1.gif

http://store.triodestore.com/dynacoupgrades.html

They also have a decent amount of information amount Dynaco ST 70's and possible upgrades to the amp. So if you are a "do-it-yourself'er" this is a good place to look for additional information and popular upgrades.

CSB

Good to have the Doctor in the house! [D]

You wouldn't happen to have that fancy new guitar tube amp finished yet would you? Indy guitar show is coming up and ya gotta show your wares...

Stick that mutha thumpa in your EAR!

mum's the word. About crossovers... I have ALK crossovers in my khorns, and buddy goodness yes, they made a HUGE difference. On a pair of my Cornwalls that I took down to Hope, AR in September 2005, Daddy Dee's Heresys had MUCH better sound. I purchased a pair of Bob Crites Crossovers, (type B) and had them put in on the spot... WOW... what a HUGE difference in the sound.

Like you, I thought they sounded just fine until I heard the difference.

I recently let BS Button, who lives in Bowling Green, use my Khorn ALK crossovers and I put the stock, 30 year old AA's back in them while he listened to the ALK's on his La Scalas. It was almost like putting a curtain in front of the speaker.

I'm pretty sold on the ALK's, but you have to drop some coins for them. I got mine used for $400 (I think). The standard rebuild is way less. I tell ya what... I'll bring my crossovers over next time I visit and we'll hook 'em up. See what you think. While you might not want to buy a set, they'll definitely let you know what a crossover rebuild will lead towards.

Somebody here'll pipe up if the ALK (standard ALK) won't work for your horns, but I think they will.

woo

Oh, fooey, don't let the new (and latest) skeptics in the forum stifle your well informed opinions regarding crossovers.

I tried a variety of crossovers, including rebuilt OEMs - and ended up with ALK's extreme slope/gentle slope in the front (Khorns) and the ALK universals in the rear (Belles). Major difference for me, and no turning back.

But.........to each their own.

Congrats on the ST70 and Peach. I can honestly say that my Peach is the one piece of gear that will never leave my system.

Carl.