Slide scanner to borrow, rent buy or steal? (Colter???)

Coytee

I've got some slides from decades ago (me as a young punk! [:^)]) and am looking to find/buy/borrow a scanner so I can scan them to my PC and burn them to a disk.

I'm also looking for a viewer...though if I find a scanner that will display it I wouldn't need the viewer.

Anyone have one that's gathering dust that I can borrow, rent buy or steal?

I'm talking about one of these, (ebay at $1,500)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230179301970&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013#ebayphotohosting

what are you referring to?

Ouch!!!! [:o]

As Bruce mentioned, there are many afforable alternatives that are eminently more useful and practical.

Slide scanning functionality has become a commodity function.

Look around. Almost all of the better scanners by Microtek, HP, Epson, etc. have an integrated slide scanner function, either via a frame holding ~10+ slides or via another configuration, and it also doubles as a state of the art page scanner for general use!

And you can get these for NO MORE than $250 for the best!

You don't need a Lamborghini to drive to Kroger...

Though I'm still inclined to get the Nikon (I'm kinda thick headed), I'm open to other suggestions. The reason I'm still inclined on the Nikon is it has a 50 slide feeder.

I have hundreds and hundreds of slides.... literally my lifetimes worth (parents taking slides prior to me being born).

Seems for efficient time spent on a huge amount, the Lamborgini might get me to the store faster than a trolley? [;)]

My thinking is... buy it, use it then sell it. If it cost me say, $400 net loss on resale, (just a guess, no idea if it's reasonable) then if it can do the job easier and faster than a flatbed, I'm net ahead.

I was looking at one that was used however the seller was very coy with his wording as to exactly what came with it. I even emailed the seller and expressly asked if it had the 50 slide feeder included and he had some kind of wormy answer where 'it was available' or some long winded nonsense... He's no longer under consideration and I might just buy it all new so I don't get someone elses (potential) problems and can be clear on what I'm buying from a dealer.

Time for me to go to [|-)] [|-)] [|-)]

I'm also looking for a viewer...though if I find a scanner that will display it I wouldn't need the viewer.

I recommend a slide sorter, on which you can lay out your slides and arrange the order you want before burning them to a disk. Actually, I have found having two helps if you have a lot of slides to arrange, and they aren't that expensive:

32249.jpg

There are still a lot of magnifying slide viewers like a Pana-Vue (only so-so) or this Hama, where you can view one slide at a time while holding the viewer about a book-length away:

163349.jpg

And then there are the loupes (pron. "loop") which you hold up to your eye for a crystal clear view of the slide and its quality:

437227.jpg

The sorter is great for arranging slides in a preferred order. The viewer is good for a closer look and sharing slides without a projector. The loupe is good for getting an ultra-close look at whether the slide has flaws, although running them through a projector is best for that, IMO.

Larry