OTA HDTV ANTENNA?

erickoegle

I didn't know where to put this, but anways... I have a Panasonic 50" Plasma with the Dish Network system. Currently, they cannot provide me with my locals HD. I have jerryrigged some old FM antenna (those T looking things) up on my wall. I have looked on www.antennaweb.org and found just the right place on where to direction my antenna. I am only having a problem getting my FOX local to come in clear. Last night, for the Indians game, I used an extension coaxial cable about 50 feet to bring my T antenna towards the front of my townhouse to get uninterrupted signal. I was wondering if anyone has an indoor/outdoor HDTV antenna for OTA signals, and if they like it and how it works for them. I've been looking at a few different antennas such as the Terk HDTVa, and the Terk TV5 for indoor use and have been seeing mixed reviews for the both.

Anyways, I thought I would just post on here and gather some input from the 'pros.'

Thanks ahead,

-Eric

I use a DC-9000 from MCM Electronics (91 element, $90.00) and it generally works pretty good except for PBS (low power). I am about

20 miles away from all the stations and occasionally with ducting I will get Toledo Channels 11 and 13. Try to use at last RG-6 with a

minimum of splitters.

JJK

ANY over the air antenna will receive HD broadcasts. If you want to spend extra money buying a "HD" antenna there are many to choose from. Don't think that's the only way to get over the air HD though!

"Unfortunately, in the very first Myth, they turned around and perpetrated ANOTHER myth: that to get HD off the air, one must use an "HD antenna." More misinformation.
A regular, everyday $20 UHF antenna will do the job, the special "HD" antennas out there are just shameless attempts to rip off people who don't know any better and assume that it is some kind of special signal that can't be received with a regular antenna."

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/05/20/popular-mechanics-cranks-out-another-ten-hdtv-myths/

See, the thing is I cannot do anything permanent. Ideally, I would love to get a large amplified antenna for the OTA signals, but I am renting since I am still in college (until May that is.) I was thinking that a smaller, amplified indoor antenna would do me justice, because with my setup I have currently with the AM/FM antenna I get all of my locals, including FOX. Although my FOX goes in and out of signal.

Well, yesterday I ended up going into the crawl space under my townhome, and I ran some RG6 cable from my TV to the side of my house. I put the cable under my siding and up the crack in the corner molding. I was able to place my same antenna above my kitchen window where it is at least partially hidden from the elements. It works wonderfully now, getting clear, uninterrupted signal on FOX, plus I pick up another weather channel.

The true test will be when it snows, until then I am keeping this.

GO TRIBE!!!

-Eric