How do I make backs for my Khorns?

Brac

My right front Khorn sits in a corner where there is an inswing 6-panel wood door. It's just where my boiler is so I don't mind blocking the door. But it does mean I cant build a false wall. Anything I build needs to be moveable, so that I can get throught the door once in a while. I could change the swing of the door but that would make a 4" recess behinh the speaker. So I'm guessing my best option is to close up the khorn. Other question is would I need them to both be the same, i.e close them both, even though the other corner is fine?

Thanks

Brac

A number of folks have made "portable" corners; search "false corners" and you'll find a number of possibilities. From the description, maybe a 4' x 4' x 4' "corner" with 1/2" on the front, and the back (insulation between the plywood) internal frame braced with 1x2's, with felt or teflon sliders so you can slide 'er out. $20 for the 4x8 piece of plywood (although they have some very nice furniture grade birch or "Vidonia" (or something like that) for about $38-$40 that will look very nice when primed and painted to match you walls. You could make it the same height as the whole Klipschorn, but would require 2 pieces of the plywood. Hope that is of some assistance.

I've used the boxed approach since the late 80's.

You trace the tops of your khorns and add about 3/4's of and inch to the back 2 sides.  You will need 4 total.  These will be your horizontals

Cut out vertical panels to fit between the horizontals you cut out in the step above.

You can optionally cut across the rear corner of the tops and bottoms that you cut out, ensuring the additional 3/4's of an inch, and add a third vertical panel.

Assemble, and you can slide your bass bin into the box, put your top sections back on.

What I like about this is that is has better WAF than the two 4X4 panels discussed in the dope from hope.  You will only see the edges of the two 3/4 inch horizontals added to each cab.

On a wall mounted panel saw, we are talking less than 15 minutes worth of wood cutting.  Assembly depends on how much space you have to work in and avail tools.

• 2 weeks later...

I needed false corners in my setup and ended up with a nice, although overengineered and very heavy, setup. However, it works great for me and produces some serious bass. Check my corners out using my web page in my signature. Let me know if you have questions. There are plenty of ideas out there.