Which Goes First?

HornsRus

I've heard that you should turn on the compnets starting with the closest to the speaker first then go backwards down the chain. Dont know why, that just what I've heard. I try to turn mine on in this order, amp, reciever, then source that I'll be using, ie hdtv tuner, dvd, turntable....

Paul

------------------

Paul Ward

my home theater www.brookesbakersurveyors.com/klipschht.htm

• Like 1

Actually, Y'all have it backward. The power amps should be turned on last (and off first) to keep turn-on (and turn-off) thumps from the pre-amp from damaging your speakers. In the 70s and 80s the gear demanded it. My ACT-3 is well behaved and doesn't need to be treated that way. This does not apply the receivers and integrated amps because the speaker protection circuits wait until the thumps are gone before connecting the speakers.

The preamp section of my old Yamaha CA-800 integrated was terrible. When using 125 watt power amps and my La Scalas, the windows would rattle.

John

John Albright,

DUH

I have never had any pop from my speakers even if my amps are ON all the time.The cause of your pops was the cheap(relative)preamp or reciever.

Even the subs dont pop(more like a BOUM),when I was using the Paradigm X30 sub crossover the subs did a LOUD BOUM each time I powered the reciever!Since then I use the subs direct,no X30.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Ears,

I also got a loud thump when I started using an X-30 with my sub. I found that the problem was I had the X-30 plugged into the back of my receiver, so it came on when I powered up. I got a thump at turn-on and turn-off. Both of those went away (thank goodness!) when I plugged the X-30 into a regular outlet, so it's on all the time.

Happy New Year,

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff

Sorry, but the pops you all are hearing are indifferent to the cost associated with the equipment. They're actually a symptom of a potential difference (ground loop). That's why Ross' problem was resolved when he switched around his equipment hookup - the potential difference was eliminated. John is right on when he advises to turn the amps on last...that way you avoid amplifying the pops associated with these little electrical gremlins.

Coin

Ross,

Thank you,Thank you and Thank you

Now I look like a dumb lamb cwm5.gif

You are right the Paradigm X30 transformer was plugged in my reciever's outlet...into the reciever!

LOL

Now I feel bright as a lightbulb with no coil. cwm19.gif

Thanks again

Problem solved

cwm9.gif

With all my gear I forgot about this one!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

John Albright is correct.

If you have solid-state equipment, you should leave all of you equipment ON all the time. The only time you should turn it off is if you are going to be away for a while, for electrical storms, or if you are connecting/disconnecting equipment. This may sound counterintuitive, but your equipment will last longer this way. Many of the very expensive gear are designed this way (i.e., they don't have power switches in front, or maybe only a standby switch with the power switch in the back -- to be turned OFF only on rare occasions).