My rw-8 is rattling!

33klfan

I never noticed this before, but i played star wars, revenge of the sith, and at the beginning where the big aircraft is flying in space the bass has a rattling out of the subwoofer. I don't know if that's port noise or what, it's odd, cause i never noticed that before, and i've had the sub for 3 years. With other heavy bass material, i don't notice it. It only seems to be that part. Any ideas?

Sounds like you were overdriving it causing it to bottom out. What crossover point as you using (80, 100, 120Hz?), what is the volume level set to, what level is the subwoofer output set to on the receiver? You may just want to back things down a bit. An 8" sub would be easily overdriven with any real bass content, as a rule of thumb the subwoofer driver should be bigger than any of the main speakers woofers.

Yeah, i'll have to try that. I have it around 90hz on sub, 80hz on receiver. The volume is near the whole way up. That's prolly the big no no. I'll try tweaking it. Right now with the chorus II's as mains the sub is smaller. To put a 15" sub in my 11'x11.5' room would be overkill wouldn't you think though?

What's overkill?
If you sufficient wattage running through the Chorus' you should invest in a good sub, whether it be something more musical if thats your tastes, or that plays lower for more effect while watching movies.
And going to the point above, you don't necessarily need to go bigger for the sub as with big subs can sound boomy rather quickly. I would look more so at subs that have the ability to play lower than your mains, as thats what they're designed to do. I guess it's a blessing and a curse of having very versatile mains. [;)]

EDIT: I looked it up and your sub, while a noisy little bugger plays to 32Hz, while the Chorus' play to 39Hz. FYI.

Well, i turned the sub's volume to 30 out of 40, instead of 35 like i had it. I also turned the crossover frequency down closer to 80hz. It sounds very smooth now. It's not quite as potent as before, but it seems like it has a better all around quality of bass. I would still like a deeper fulfilling bass which will probably be a subwoofer purchase in the future.