My thoughts on the Chorus II's so far

33klfan

Well, i ended up putting them back on the floor. Bass is so much better. I can actually feel it now. With them up from the ground, the lower oomph was definitely missing. Everything sounds pretty good, but the treble seems to be a little edgy sometimes. I have to turn the treble back 1/2, from 0-1. That helps. I'm guessing it's because of the horn being used for the mid and the tweeter. I remember my sf-1's weren't like that. So, the chorus II's do seem like they have to be tamed more times than not. Ayone have any advice to smooth out the jaggies? Other than that, everything is a lot more open in the mids and highs and fuller in the mid bass and deep bass. I now have them hooked to my HT as well now, which sounds very nice even with the sc-1 center.

The Chorus II's have a rather large impedance spike at 6kHz, which will cause a boost in the amplfier's frequency response at 6kHz if it has a relatively high output impedance.

It probably wouldn't hurt to get rid of them electrolytic caps in the crossovers either.

That's always a relief to change amps with a noticeable improvement, especially when edginess is the issue.

You know, there are several forum members around St. Louis with tube setups. Perhaps you could hear some of their systems or have someone drop by with a tube amp under their arm. Giving the Chorus a run on tubes would make for some fun listening. It would be interesting, too, to see how tubes would compare to what you are already hearing with the Sunfire, which ought to provide good competition to just about anything out there.

I had some Chorus IIs here at the house for a while, until I could get them delivered to a forum member. I tried them out with a 75 wpc Alesis amp, and thought they rocked pretty well. I didn't notice any edginess on this pair at all. I would personally pick them over the CW (flame away). The footprint is better, too.

Bruce

He's already using a Scott 233. You guys misunderstood. Sounds like tubes aren't the issue.

I occasionally have some edginess with my Cornwalls/Scott but it usually has to do with digital recordings. When I play LPs on that system, the edginess is completely gone. With some CDs and even some SACDs, I end up adjusting the treble control. That usually does the trick.

I'm personally VERY Happy with the Sunfire. I was just offering a possibility that maybe the lower power Scott may have something to do with the edgieness of the Chorus's. But an earlier post eluded to a more likely cause of the edgieness. Some poor digital recordings sound Horrible on mine. I have a Nazarath CD that is absolutlely unlistenable. Maybe that's the cause.

I had some Chorus IIs here at the house for a while, until I could get them delivered to a forum member. I tried them out with a 75 wpc Alesis amp, and thought they rocked pretty well. I didn't notice any edginess on this pair at all. I would personally pick them over the CW (flame away). The footprint is better, too.

Bruce

People I belive to be in the know said the Chorus II is the last production speaker PWK worked closely on. A darn nice speaker for realism without horn loaded woofer.

Unfortunately low mid fi components were used in the crossover network. Crossover improvement will not make edgy recordings sound better but good recordings will benefit greatly.

It does seem like i have to tame the treble down a little, which is fine. That helps a lot. It seems like the edginess is there with most recordings, even records, when treble is at 0. It might be my ears are just sensitive. I didn't notice this on the sf-1's, but i realize these are completely different speakers. I love the soundstage on the chorus II's. Everything's better. I just have to turn the treble down some. By doing this, I just hope to take care of the edginess it's not sacrificing some of the clearness.

It really is amazing how differences in equipment and rooms really change the characteristics of the same speakers. But as far as Chorus II's remaining clear as you put it I really don't think it matters what gear you use they are going to stay clear. I do not notice a hot treble at all with my set up but I do not listen in the nearfield either. Chorus II's need room to breathe and they absolutley benefit from corner placement. The Quartets and the Forte II's allow you to use a little less space. Like most Klipsch speakers they do show shortcomings in equipment(source,amp and pre). Good luck and Congrats!

I used to complian about my Chorus I's being edgy. I found that when went from a 100wpc ADCOM amp, to a Sunfire 425WPC amp, the edginess dissappears. Although, I've never heard the Chorus on tubes.

Just a thought.

When I first bought my Klipsch speakers, I paired them with an ADCOM preamp and power amp. Sound was awful. ADCOM and Klipsch is definately not a good match.

I then switched to a Sunfire preamp and power amp. Now that's much better!

Then I got my tube virginity taken with an EICO HF-81. Heaven! The BIG O! [:D]

When I first bought my Klipsch speakers, I paired them with an ADCOM preamp and power amp. Sound was awful. ADCOM and Klipsch is definately not a good match.

I hate to pick on the guys that love the match up but I agree with that statement 100%. My exact same experience in regards to Adcom and Chorus II's.

Does anyone know the output impedance of a Scott 233 or any of the Adcom power amps? An output impedance as low as 0.1 Ohms is enough to push 6kHz on the Chorus II up 1dB, which will certianly be perceived as harsh sounding. I've got measurements here somewhere if anyone is interested.

I almost wonder if it wouldn't be worthwhile to redesign the crossover to present a flatter impedance to the amp. Swapping caps is pretty easy if you're comfortable soldering, but it might be worthwhile to do a complete rebuild to address some of the impedance craziness. One of these days I'll get around to rebuilding my crossovers, but school is keeping me too busy.

I think one of the biggest reasons Chorus II owners seem to migrate towards the pro amps is because the output impedance is extremely low - which in turn shows less variation with the impedance of the speaker.