CD audio question for group

Darkelf

Is there any difference in sound quality from an inexpensive vs. high end cd player if the signal is being passed from the digital optical out to the reciever? My cd player has recently died and I am wondering if it is worth the extra cost investing in a higher end player?

My current system:

Denon 3808CI AVR, RF-82 mains, RC=62 center, F-2's for surrounds, RT-10d sub.

If you were happy with the sound of your old CDP, not really a need to spend the bucks on high end.

I listened to a demo of Klipsch state of the art theatre speakers in the engineering lab in Hope and they were using an EMERSON DVD player, for crying out loud. It sounded fabulous.

Nope, that's the beauty of digital. The digital signal from every player will be exactly bit for bit identical. The analog outputs are a completely different story. (Klipsch uses the analog outs of their emerson player in the lab...)

I wouldn't necessarily recommend a crappy player though. Nicer units usually last longer and have more intuitive controls.

The $50 DVD players around

(it is hard to find a cheap CD only player anymore, unless you are looking at one of the few remaining portables)

all seem to die within 2 years or so. Look at eopinions.com for some interesting comments on those & other mass-market products. I had a $40 Apex DVD player for my study system and it sounded fine, then died one day. Tossed it without a second thought and bought a $70 Phillips DVD player that eopinions liked. Since I have an old Pioneer studio television monitor in my study, having a DVD player in the that system makes sense.You'll pay a little more for optical output; my study system is all copper-based (like the blood of Vulcans) so that was not a consideration.

Thanks for the info guys. I was pretty sure that was the case but it is nice to have it confirmed. When you spend thousands on your sound system you want it to use it to it's full potential, am I right? I think I'll be using my Sony DVD player for audio cds since I'm using my PS3 for DVDs and Blurays anyways.