Anyone here use Pro Tools for home recording?

Audio Flynn

If they don't need Pro Tools, I would get a small Mackie interface and Tracktion. It is inexpensive comes with certain Mackie products, and is a breeze to use, while still having a very, very good mix engine. Everything stays on one screen. You can download it and try it, too.

Bruce

If they don't need Pro Tools, I would get a small Mackie interface and Tracktion. It is inexpensive comes with certain Mackie products, and is a breeze to use, while still having a very, very good mix engine. Everything stays on one screen. You can download it and try it, too.

Bruce 

First off how you been Bruce? I was wondering can you recommend any good usb interfaces? I really would like to start recording some guitar licks I just randomly come up with. That I could never possibly ever duplicate. ( AUDACITY is not bad for free)

Bill

Bill,

I picked up a Tascam US-122L last Spring. Two mic pres and line inputs, and Cubase LE. It works ok. I think the M-Audio stuff is pretty good, too. I have an older M-Audio card in one of my desktops and it is very sweet. No hash from the computer, even though it is an internal card. I haven't been looking lately or keeping up with it. We have a small Lexicon at school, that one of the music profs uses (Cubase LE with it as well). A lot of people like the M-box stuff. I just haven't spent the time I wanted on recording.

Bruce

Bill,

I picked up a Tascam US-122L last Spring. Two mic pres and line inputs, and Cubase LE. It works ok. I think the M-Audio stuff is pretty good, too. I have an older M-Audio card in one of my desktops and it is very sweet. No hash from the computer, even though it is an internal card. I haven't been looking lately or keeping up with it. We have a small Lexicon at school, that one of the music profs uses (Cubase LE with it as well). A lot of people like the M-box stuff. I just haven't spent the time I wanted on recording.

Bruce

Thanks I will have to look into some of those.

I have access to full fledged versions of Pro Tools, CuBase, and Digital Performer, but usually find myself falling back to Audacity - especially for projects like this.

What's more fun is that it is free:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

As far as hardware, I've had the best results with MOTU. But if everyone is doing their own tracking from their own homes with their own equipment, then it might make sense for everyone to purchase a dedicated digital audio interface based on their needs. For example, the drummer might want an 8 channel AD, but a guitarist could probably get away with just a mono or stereo unit. You'll probably get a more cohesive mix though if everyone uses the same equipment - maybe spring for something really nice and mail it around?

If you want to do hardcore post processing then Audacity probably isn't the route to go, but lately I've been finding that trying to do my creativity in the analog realm tends to sound better.

I do prefer CuBase to Pro Tools though. It's just a much easier environment to work with and is more flexible with more hardware. I think Pro Tools has gotten better lately, but for a while there you had to use only Digi Design, which was uber expensive and really not any better.

I do prefer CuBase to Pro Tools though. It's just a much easier environment to work with and is more flexible with more hardware. I think Pro Tools has gotten better lately, but for a while there you had to use only Digi Design, which was uber expensive and really not any better.

Cubase rocks! I've been a big fan for a long time (the full version). Pro Tools has always be so tied to theier own hardware, you really had to buy into the whole system. MOTU stuff has beeen quirky to get to work on some Windows based systems... but when it woks right, it is great stuff.

Cubase rocks! I've been a big fan for a long time (the full version). Pro Tools has always be so tied to theier own hardware, you really had to buy into the whole system. MOTU stuff has beeen quirky to get to work on some Windows based systems... but when it woks right, it is great stuff.

What is "MOTU"?

Great replies guys!

Thanks

Rick

MOTU = Mark of the Unicorn

Started out as equipment dedicated to Mac users. They have have had windows drivers for the interfaces, but the support for them was almost nonexistent. The A/D convertors are really pretty sweet sounding. I know a dealer who refuses to sell MOTU gear to folks who have Windows systems becasue he knows he will probably get the gear back or get complaints about it.

Attatched is pic of one of their firewire interfaces.

post-7149-13819353798242_thumb.jpg

I've never had any problems getting a Motu 828 mkII or 896HD working on my personal computer (running windows), but maybe I've been lucky. The majority of my experience has been on Mac based computers.

Would you happen to know what alternatives your dealer suggests when his customer's are using Windows?

Would you happen to know what alternatives your dealer suggests when his customer's are using Windows?

I don't know really. I could ask him sometime when I am in there... which isn't too often.

I'm still using an ADAT [*-)]