Vinyl Picture Disc Quality ?

seti

I saw a killer band last night but they had no CDs for sale only a double lp 10 inch picture disc set. I had to buy it. A friend mentioned that it was too bad that it was a picture disc as this means it is sub standard quality. Most of the picture discs that I own are live recordings which makes me wonder if there may be something to his argument. Is there anything to his argument are picture disc inferior to regular vinyl pressings? 

• Moderators

I have an 180g audiophile pressing of Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, and it comes with a yellow pressing in Mono and a green pressing in Stereo, and while it is very good, it is not as good as most other 180g audiophile pressing that I own.

Mike

Mike,

Colored vinyl is a different thing then a picture disk. I don't know about the quality of a picture disk being deminished, but it would make sense that in order to get the clarity of the picture you would have to compromise on the pressing of the grooves. However, with color in vinyl there is no difference because of color. All lp's have color added, it is just that most of them are black. The vinyl to make lp's is clear. When lp's were first introduced by Columbia in the late 40's they came out in different colors. Red for Classical, etc.

I don't own a single picture disk so I can't say anything about that quality, but I own a lot of colored vinyl (other then black) and can tell you there is no difference. I had always heard that the picture disks were done for collectability, not sound, so I never went for any.

The difference in your Pet Sounds lp is going to come from some other factor unrelated to color.

Travis