What surrounds for RF-7 5.1 theater?

Groto

I have had a pair of RF-7s for a few months and plan on getting the RC-64 for the center since it is hard to find a cherry rc-7 and it seems people think RC-64+RF-7 works well. My question is what I should do for the 2 surrounds/rears? I don't have room for using 2 more RF-7s for those.. Would it be better to get some RS-7s or RS-62s or would it be better to go with a bookshelf like RB-81? I looked at the RB-75s but it's too hard to find those.

I think he was more talking about timber matching the center. The front three are very noticeable. While the 64 may sound good with the 7's, the RC-7 is a perfect match and you will not be dissapointed. Surrounds are a different story. You could get away with being a little off. I use RS-52's for my side surrounds and they sound great. Probably not as good as the matching RS-7's, but pretty close. So you could get away with the 62's and they will sound fine. I will keep my eyes open for a cherry RC-7 for you. Where do you live?

Since I use 5.1 (and 6.1) for a lot of multi-channel listening....I prefer direct radiators for surrounds instead of purpose built surround speakers which "scatter" sound. Someone above mentioned RB-75 bookshelfs...sounds promising. I use a pair of RF-5 towers. A lot less space intrusive than a second pair of RF-7 and very complimentary. Judging by the content of what I own in SACD, DVD-A, DTS, and Dolby records and concert DVDs, the surround content in a lot of recordings is rather thin. So, I think matching RF-7s in back is just too much....the RF-5 is just about right. Never heard the RB-75 but it may be worth a look.

Have fun with this....nice problem.

RB-75's for RF-7's is a seamless match. Only better match I can think of are another pair of RF-7's, which I think is overkill for surround duty, and takes up a heck of a lot of space. Never heard the RF-5's with RF-7's, but the RB-75's have the exact same tweeter as the RF-7's and I can tell you with experience that the Rb-75's will be a great idea if you are looking at direct radiators versus the RS-7's.