MSG to OB and Craig

nu2toobs

I've been reading your raves and recommendations about the H.H. Scott 299 amps for a while now and I see your point to the tenth power. I received my first gen. 299 built in 1958( the year I was born by the way) and rebuilt by Craig,and it sounds fantastic. The lowly 17 wpc can rattle the windows with the La Scalas if needed :) The main reason I went in this direction was I wanted to "simplify" and save a little room in my man cave.

The sound is fantastic, and being able to tweak the tone and balance in my room is a godsend

Looks like there might be some Horn Monos and a Dodd preamp for sale soon.

Thanks OB and Craig for everything

Yep! I started with a 299 (17 wpc version) worked over by Craig, and used it with my La Scala's and never looked back! Very good phono stage on that unit if you are into vinyl. The other nice thing is the derived center channel. This works great if you want to try and incorporate a sub into the mix (or a center channel).

Mike

The Horn Monos are great amps. What were you running in them for output tubes? I'm curious about how you like the amps, and not necessarily in comparison to the 299.

Bruce

They're dead silent and they run reissue Mullard EL34s. They sound great, I just don't have the control I have with the 299. I'm sending them to Craig so he can have a listen to them, and also check them out. He will have them next week, so you can also get his opinion.

Yes I listen to 90% vinyl. The phono stage is a lot better than the Bellari I was using before.

Scott phono sections are the top of the vintage preamps wheter in an integrated or standalone preamp. How sacraledge using tone controls.Wink

Always used them just a touch in my LK-48. 

Not using the tone much., just a hair.;)

there is a very nice sense of Family on this Forum...unlike any other Forum I have been on...plus there is so much to learn from others as well as members selling nice items to other members here...often at much less than market value all, I believe, to keep the experience going...I was sold on Tubes a couple of years back and was so wow'd by the sound that it is my preferred 2 channel...both, my Mark JMA BlueBerry MkI*Craig NOSValve VRDs and my Dr Bill*Daddy Dee*EICO HF81 (both purchased from members here)...fantastic!

Bill