I gots me a new toy!!!!!!!

germerikan

Why doesn't anyone ask "getech" where Rotel, Outlaw, and (from what I hear now) Sunfire are made? I'm not familiar with the Cinenova so I can't comment.

I too am quite opnionated and TRY to purchase as much U.S. made goods as possible (you'll NEVER find me shopping at Walmart), but would never bash someone else's equipment. I doubt that there are many people on here who's first audio system consisted of seperate amps/pre amps- I know mine didn't.

Enjoy your Yamaha!!!

I've been happily listening to Yamaha receivers for many years and presently have an RX-V750 in my main system. When I wanted more power and transparency, I added a Yamaha MX-D1 power amp to drive the main speakers, while the V750 powers the center and surrounds. The sound is really good. There are five people on this forum alone using Yamaha receivers as pre-amps, with separate power amps.

The Yamahas sound good as is and have the flexibility to be part of an upgraded system as well.

As for all the features, they're there if you need them, but all the adjustments for room size and reverberation, along with the simulated concert halls, may be needed by only a few buyers. "Straight" for most 2-channel music and surround movie listening, along with "7-Channel Stereo" for radio or background listening, may be what you'll use 90% of the time.

"Pure Direct" seems like a good idea, but it cuts out the sub, so unless your main speakers can easily reproduce really low bass, you may find you don't use it very often.

These are just my opinions. Depending on how deeply you want to explore the various menus and options, you could really personalize your receiver. Congrats on your new toy! (not that it's at all toy-like!)

Dude I absolutely love my yamaha. You'll love it.I did find the auto calibration was not as accurate as I'd like and had to do a lot of research to figure it out but once done, it's amazing. Have a ball with it and enjoy.

Ignore the bashing of audio snobs who make claims with absolutely no foundation in fact. Yamaha makes an excellent product.

• Moderators

Hey Islander I didn't realize you had a RX-V750 I have a 730, for HT I think it sounds fine for only $500 with a double warranty, a few years ago. I think they would work well with a separate amps, never did try it.

US prices on things just choke me with envy (me and many other Canadians). The RX-V750 listed for $900 here and I was lucky to get mine on sale for $699 ($865 including taxes and extended warranty) in early 2005. La Scala IIs here in BC run around $7000 with a discount, plus federal and provincial taxes, of course. The net result, in terms of pricing, at least, is that what Americans consider low-end is seen as mid-range here, mid-range equals near high-end, and so on.

However, I do like the sound of it and that's what counts. Adding the big (well, it's less than half the height of the receiver, but it has big power) Yamaha power amp made a very noticeable improvement, though. It seemed as if extra lights were turned on at the back of the stage so you could "see" further back to who was playing there. The added clarity of the higher-end unit (relative to the receiver) made it very obvious if a drummer had two bass drums, for instance (Aha, he's got one there and another one there right beside it.). Now I can pick out individual backup singers in a way I never could before.

As well as the clarity/transparency improvements, the extra power makes transients like rimshots sound more realistic. Pianos sound like a big wooden instrument on many recordings now, instead of a set of strings floating in space.

Because of the extra power, matching the levels between the main speakers and the center & surround speakers called for a big re-adjustment, so the La Scalas are set at -10dB, while the center Heresy II is set at +8 and the surround Heresy IIs are at +4 and +5.5 (one's a bit closer to the listening position than the other) to get everything even. Before I got the Heresy IIs, the lower sensitivity of the Paradigms I was using made level matching impossible, since it went past the adjustment range of the receiver.

It's good to be happy with the sound of your receiver, but it's also good to know you can add performance without giving up all the surround features you like. Some guys have added 5- or 7-channel power amps, so the level matching becomes sort of a non-issue.

Hello to all and thanks for the input and kind remarks!!! I am very happy with the Yamaha and now that I found out what the problem is it is the bees knees.

The problem was my DVD player (RTFM DAU) upon buying the new amp I thought I would also upgrade the cables and use the digital coax output. Went then into the configuration of the DVD and set it to PCM (again RTFM DAU), thus I lost my multichannel output. So I finally RTFM set the digital output to both and volia I have Surround sound in DTS. muhahahahah.

Since Michael said about test tones I remembered a DVD that my loving wife bought me when we got our Samsung Flat. It is from "Heimkino" (Home Theater Magazine) and has different tests for Video and AUDIO. I think I am on the right track. So tests will be done, the tracks are using pink noise and are bieng explained easily. First polarity check, then leveling, then distance to listening position. The last 2 checks are sending a clap to adjust the delay and with a little tweaking it sounded like you were sitting in the middle of a theater and about 200 people were clapping at the same time, then the same test with pink noise. There is also a bass sweep on the DVD that starts at about 210 and goes down to 0. I did this test 6 times and tried to get when the F3´s stopped and then blended the Sub-12 to pick up the rest. This is about 46 to 43 since the dial on the Sub-12 does not show exactly where it is at a little above 1/2 for the gain. Installation results Yamaha Fronts/Center=Large, Surround=Small, LFE=Both, Crossover=120 (This was done before the manual tweaking using YPAO I might play around a bit and try others). EQ is set to Natural.

All tests done and tried another DVD where I knew there was good rear movement. X-Men 2, 1st test the beginning where Nightcrawler is infiltrating the Whitehouse. Woooo doggie, the shots and the "pufffff" of when he teleports just about scared the bejesus out of me. Next is when they are flying through the tornados and there is a lot of lows bieng pushed through the speakers. Eureka, I have surround!!!!!!

Am I happy? Yes

Synergie F3 Full surround 1000 € + RX-V1800= 900€ = a whole new listening experience for under 2000 €.

Thanks to all,

Ran

PS: It is unfair though that I auditioned the Yamaha in Media Markt´s new Sound treated demo room using 6 RF-83´s, 1 RC-64 and 2 RW12´s. I am very happy this would not fit into our appartment. [bs] Although I could possibly squeeze 2 RF-83´s up front.[^o)] They are only 1500 € a pop.

Adding the big (well, it's less than half the height of the receiver, but it has big power) Yamaha power amp made a very noticeable improvement, though.

Yeips, 2 x 500W that is a bruiser.

You are correct about the 17000 pre installed enhancement modes. I´ve found that enhanced (DTS) and Music enhanced 2 and 7 channel modes work for me. I think this is the most fun about this hobby, finding out what flavors go best with which music/DVD.

There is still a lot to explore and I am at the begining of my journey, I cant wait to see where this ends up. If I win the lottery here in Germany (now at about 46 million €) I think I will be the first person in Germany with a complete 7.2 Surround sytem using Jubes [<:o)] Yeah dream on!!!

Ran