Altec 1505?

Blvdre

Has anyone had any experience with these horns? A friend of mine acquired a pair of these from an old local theater years ago (~15 or 20 years ago). Big heavy tar-filled behemoths. They both functioned way back then, I seem to remeber them having double throats, but maybe I was hallucinating. Not long after, he just stored them away. I'm thinking about giving him a call to see if he'd be interested in getting rid of them, but not sure if it's all worth the effort. Anyone have input on these?

I agree, I think they would be fun to play with....up until I get a hernia (I remember helping him move these things way back when. He had the bass bins too). Is it difficult getting parts to refurb these things? I'm not sure what condition the drivers are in, but I know they were in playable condition when he first acquired them. A nice two way is what I was thinking of, not sure what the range of this driver is (have to do a bit of research...) or what the sound quality is like.

" If anything they are probably worth 12 to 14 hundred bucks."

It will of course depend upon condition but I think that is likely low. I've seen tar filled 1505s go for over $2k. The dual throats will likely increase that. Then depending upon what drivers are on it they are probably $400-$500 a pair for the more common units. If he happens to have 288-8/16G they are closer to $1000+ a pair, ditto if they happen to be the 'Hollywood' drivers.

Shawn

Thanks for the info everyone. According to this, http://www.voiceofthetheatre.com/images/multicell.4.jpg it looks like the 1505 is spec'd from 500 to ~2400 Hz, a fairly narrow range. Maybe the measured range is actually a bit different.

I'm not so concerned about the value. My buddy would let me try them out for nothing, and if I wanted them, he'd let me have them for next to nothing. If I decided to return them, it would be good to know value at that point - I would like to help him get rid of them for a fair price. Hell, I don't even know if he still has them (fingers crossed).