sunfire 7200 or nad m25 amp for my 82 system

yriezman

I am about to put a sunfire cinema 7x200 into action. I looked up the nad, this is just my opinion from my research for the sunfire (included talking with owners) and the nad from online. The sunfire is better looking, more compact, and if it matters to you it runs cool. The power specs look like the sunfire should handle dips in impedance a little better, as it doubles in watts as ohms cut in half. The sunfire also offers you the option of using balanced xlr connections. You can also switch between current source and voltage source for two channel listening (i think current source is supposed to be a little warmer sounding, more tube-like) with the sunfire. It seems to me the sunfire has more features for more versatility. I don't know how close the prices are between the two. Have fun and good luck!

you can get cable with any connector ends you want. yes there is rca to xlr available. As far as is it any better than rca to rca i dont know, but it won't hurt. Generally xlr to xlr is considered better for better noise reduction. Check out the another cable thread thread in 2 channel for people who know what they are talking about, and do a search for more than you might want to know.

What a neat plan, why waste you're money on an expensive Pre, when your computer is so much more versital. I'd seriously consider an external sound card, that has XLR connections integrated into it. I think Creative Mediasource has one on the market, and I don't believe it's too expensive..... Especially when comparing prices to Sunfire TG5, which incidentally could be connected to your computer via a included USB port (if money is no object).

i think this days the computer is more powerfull then any pre , u have dvd in it or blu-ray hd-dvd combo , all ur music and movies and watch tv .

and its more easy to upgrade and cheap and dvd software has all the hd codecs and u dont need to start looking for a new pre just beacuse they relased a new dd or dts , just upgrade the software .

my htpc runs quiet and its a monster i watch tv , hear music , watch hd movies and now its connects analog to my hk 6/8 channel direct so the hk just amplify and my computer connects to my pj toshiba t90 and my lcd , and i think its the future .

u will have a computer , amp , display (lcd/plasma/pj) , speakers and internet .

thx for the feedback i will talk my sunfire dealer to loan me for a couple of days the 7200 .

THX

If you can swing it, go for the 7400. It's well worth the $$$ to get all that "headroom". Your woofers will reward you handsomely for feeding them properly. I know, I know, you don't need that much power for Klipsch. I've heard that crap for the last 25 years, but I always prefer a large amp for Klipsch, they really come to life with the extra power, not to mention their cleaner sounding also.

Regarding the computer, I need to learn a little more about them, because that's exactly what I want to do in my next HT. Can you imagine sitting in your "money seat" with a laptop computer with a wireless router to a main frame with a huge hard drive, storing ALL of your movies and music, controllable from your laptop.

Now that's technology.

I second the 7400; I've been running a 400x7 model (older) for almost a year now and it is PHENOMENAL! These amps are current PUMPS and seem to never run out of juice into ANY load. The manual states it will run a DIRECT SHORT (zero ohms) for a time-limited basis! (good luck finding speaker wire to withstand THAT!)

The thing I like about the Sunfire is... it is clean and you will always have more amp than your speakers will need. In other words..cranking it up it is clean super clear and loud, but you will never say, "Wow I wish I had more wattage./// to play louder.." Your ears might bleed first hahahahahaha

I have to agree with Indy. The noise floor is so low (when using the XLR's) on a Sunfire, that, even -20 on the volume produces NO audible Hum or Hiss associated with any other amp I've ever tried.

Not to mention how much the extra power just reinforces the capability of my Chorus's. I'd love to hear this amp with 60th ann. Khorns. The woofer control is fabulous.

I have had the TGA 7400 for about a year now. I was using a Denon 3805 as a pre pro. I know it was way overkill for forte II's but the sound was fantastic. The difference between the Denon internal amp and the Sunfire was amazing. Luckily Santa just showed yesterday with a TGP 5. Just hooked it up and was impressed with the diffrence over the Denon. Bass is much sharper clearer, mids and highs clear without any harshness. Have to do some minor tweaks and I'm ready to go. I don't have the xlr cables yet, may get some soon. The RCA cables are dead quiet. Is there an advantage in fidelity with balance cables or do they just reduce noise and hum?

My biggest help to you here, is go to Sam Ash music store or The Guitar Center and get a 3 foot 8 xlr ♠snake... for your XLR's. It will save you money and make a cleaner path between the pre and amp too. That way you can use all seven channels have one to spare?

That said.. I had to use RCA's for the back 2 channels. It was explained here before something about the signal processor always on or when the unit turned off it would still go pop.. (it did..) So switching to the RCA's for the Center 2 back Channels did not make it do that. (Go figure?)

If I feel the need to get a 1080p projector, I will upgrade to the TGP 5. I guess the exact same machine as the TG IV with 2 HDMI ins and 1 out and a different front face?

I used to have a Denon 3802, it looks like we were on the same journey too?