Klipschorn high frequency upgrade

pzannucci

I had previously built a set of higher end speakers using the Aurum Cantus G1 Ribbons http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=276-420 and had purchased a second set for a new project. The tweeters have been sitting for a while when I decided to for grins, hook them up on top of my K-horns. I expected to bi-amp them to make them loud enough - rated 102 db. Using a quick and dirty 3rd order crossover at 3Khz on the tweeters and 2nd order on the k-55m yielded amazing results (they are actually around 103db above 2K). The increase detail and quality of the sound is amazing. I guess for $400 each they should sound great but I didn't believe that a ribbon could keep up with the efficiency of the K-horn. I need to do more crossover tweeking but from initial results, it will be very worth it.

I know they cost 1/2 as much as a used set of K-horns but these will elevate a set much more than I would have thought. The only problem is that they are large and have to sit on top of the cabinet.

Just thought I'd share some craziness for the folks that take time off and play over the holiday season.

Yep. I looked at those, too. I wish there were some less expensive high efficiency ribbons out there. I figured they'd sound good, but couldn't justify spending more than Jensen RP-302. I bet they sound sweet though.

I put the big bucks into the mids.

small_fam.JPG I shall charge up my camera. Just picture a big ribbon 11-12" ribbon sitting on top of a K-horn.[:)]

I used to think half the problem was with the k-55. The k-55 sounds very good crossed lower though still beamy with the K400 horn.

I had BEC's tweeters which are very good but these are significantly sweeter though they cost 4-5 times as much. Since I have them sitting toward the back of the cabinet they seem more aligned with the mid so things like clapping don't have the sound that Mike alluded to in some of his posts about horn sound. Seems the closer you can get drivers (with reference to their crossover) the cleaner the sound.

Here is their competition.

small_fam.JPGsmall_fam.JPG

small_fam.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Bluesboy,

I finally got my camera working. Here is what I have done with the ribbon. I have foam to either side to stop side wall reflections in the corner. They match up very well to the k400 mid though if you like bright, this isn't it. This is very clean and around the same efficiency though many of the k-55m/k-77m configurations can sound bright which some folks like.

khorn-ribbon.jpg

Sorry, no idea. They came highly recommended but I was not concerned about exact sensitivity as I'll be triamping at least at first. Outta my budget right now, I'm afraid.

What I'd really like is a 100dB/w/m ribbon that's around 40x20 at around 5kHz. And under $100 each. Yeah. That'd be nice.

I think I will have to stick with good ole compression drivers for now....

I saw a ribbon tweeter, mids Pro PA system a few years ago for the highs and mids.. The bar was fairly large and I was impressed in this application for sure.

Something like a in your room stereo system with a loudness level to be played in a club.. very cool! The band was into Steely Dan, Seals and Crofts, America, Kansas type show.. I enjoyed it a lot..70's music at it's best.