Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Dec. 17

thebes

A little house keeping is in order. I'll be home for Christmas so if someone could put this up next Monday I'd appreciate it.

Yes sir, holidays are coming. The one time of the year a lotta foks who never listen actually throw some music on. Could be Christmas tunes, party tunes, my life's turned into crap maudlin tunes. Whatever floats your boat I say.

Me I'll be rockin round the clock with:

Howlin Wolf, the Howlin' Wolf London Sessions", lp, blues baby, blues

Yeah this one really sucks. Only one of the greatest bluesmen ever with a little help from:

Eric Clapton

Steve Winwood

Bill Wyman

Charlie Watts

Cheez! Ya woulda thought he'd come up with a better backing band.

The gangs rocking the blues on this one.

Merry Christmas everyone.

So what do you have to share this week?

Thebes, I'll do my best to post up something......maybe Alvin and the Chipmunks. You do know I do a pretty good impersonation of Alvin (w/helium)[:D]

Geez, nobody appreciates Robin Trower.......no views/no replies, yet he is still rated #923 on the celebrity list[*-)]

Expect his next release w/Jack Bruce to be released in Jan/2008 "Seven Moons"

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller

He's putting together the band for the USA tour with the following members:

Glen Letsch - Bass

Davey Pattison and Pete Thompson

I would like to invite everyone back to the 80´s

Yellow : Essential Yellow

Taken from Wikipedia:

Yello was originally formed by Boris Blank (keyboards, sampling, percussion, backing vocals) and Carlos Perón (tapes) in the late 1970s. Dieter Meier (vocals, lyrics), a millionaire industrialist and gambler, was brought in when the two founders realised that they needed a singer. Meier and Blank's first release was the 1979 single called "I.T. Splash". The LP Solid Pleasure, featuring the hit dance single "Bostich", was released the following year.

Found this one while shoping for a new Ramstein Völkerball DVD and only 6,50 € How many of these songs do YOU remember?????

1. "Oh Yeah" – 3:05
  2. "The Race" – 3:15
  3. "Drive/Driven" – 4:11
  4. "Rubberbandman" – 3:35
  5. "Vicious Games" – 4:19
  6. "Tied Up" – 3:32
  7. "Lost Again" – 4:19
  8. "I Love You" – 4:05
  9. "Of Course I'm Lying" – 3:50
  10. "Pinball Cha Cha" – 3:33
  11. "Bostich" – 4:35
  12. "Desire" – 3:40
  13. "Jungle Bill" – 3:35
  14. "Call It Love" – 4:05
  15. "Goldrush" – 4:20
  16. "The Rhythm Divine" – 4:20

Ran

I saw the Allmusic.com recommendation for the Swingle Sister's "UnWrapped", and never heard of them before. But, wow, what an album.

Crystal clear voices doing startlingly original versions of old Christmas songs, some doo ***, some jazz, some choral, etc-- all a capella.

Play this for the folks and you won't need anything else--

Lotta' new stuff coming in, just got a couple of DVD's, listened just once, quickly, so will maybe write them up later .............

CACTUS LIVE .............. Brand New, just came out, bought it mainly for Tim Bogart and Carmine Appice, never seen them, been around my musical journey through life, Vanilla Fudge, yeah Baby ................. Not bad , have to remember Cactus was just straight Bar-Room Blues to me ....... they didn't do a Sgt. Peppers, will have to watch a couple more times ..................

DEREK TRUCKS BAND LIVE ............ from 2006 in a Chicago Club, these guys are good, I liked this DVD the first time through. They cover many styles of music, almost Jazzy at times, none the less a fine group of Musicans, that have nowhere to go, but UP .............. Great Sound, good video quality, well worth the price I payed ...........

So there's a couple of DVD's to get you through the cold winters night ........................ These DVD's are better than buying a live CD, can always make a copy of the sound track ..................... XMAS IS APPROACHING .................. " LONG LIVE ROCK " .................

Talking Heads

One of my favorite bands that started in the late 70's. CLASSIC

theads.jpg

Just pick a release by them and it is bound to be good. A couple of year ago I picked up the Once in a Lifetime box set which is just great. It consist of many hits unreleased tracks a dvd of their videos and a great book.

cover.heads.jpg

David Byrne has a massive amount of solo releases he never stops putting out interesting music. Check out his web site here http://www.davidbyrne.com/radio/index.php. His playlist changes monthly and this month is spaghetti western soundtrack music but last month was a very interesting selection of new artists. David Byrne is also offering advice to emerging artist http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/magazine/16-01/ff_byrne?currentPage=1# . There is also a great new release by David Byrne linked on the article at wired check it out.

"What is called the music business today, however, is not the business of producing music. At some point it became the business of selling CDs in plastic cases, and that business will soon be over. But that's not bad news for music, and it's certainly not bad news for musicians. Indeed, with all the ways to reach an audience, there have never been more opportunities for artists." DB

"There is a party, everyone is there/Everyone will leave at exactly the same time," DB

Hey Seti, do you have a record player?

I have a very minty White Album here with four color 9 by 12's of the fab four.

I sort of have a record player. I have one but it is being rebuilt by a guy just outside of town. I dropped it off last March but haven't seen it since. However, I do listen to records at the Kaisers house and also have a very interesting picture disc collection. This year I hope to get the floor in my music room stable enough so I can play records without setting a new needle skip record. I really like the fab four :) Did you listen to the 2 CDs labeled Beatle Super Rare?

Ah Yes, the Ol' White Album ............ there's a prime example of ; One Album of Best songs would still be a Killer, some of their best work would be on that disc : As a Double Album, should not have releashed as a double, just my opinion mind you, alittle heavy on filler songs, and at times they seem, lifeless, flat, not fully into album, tough times for the Lads .............

Seti, I now the feeling of a Turntable on wooden floors, it sucks, you have to sit there and hardly move, or walk across room after record side was done, or the guys come over, and the horseplay begins .............. there goes the stylus across the LP ............ Battled it for years, got this house with CEMENT floor in my snake-pit, and lo and behold, I get rid of my record collection ................. Go Figure !!!!!!!!!! Birthday, Back in the USSR, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Rocky Racoon ..................

Ah Yes, the Ol' White Album ............ there's a prime example of ; One Album of Best songs would still be a Killer, some of their best work would be on that disc : As a Double Album, should not have releashed as a double, just my opinion mind you, alittle heavy on filler songs, and at times they seem, lifeless, flat, not fully into album, tough times for the Lads .............

I gotta disagree with you there OB. What filler songs? Lifeless? Flat? Are we listening to the same LPs. You about made me blow a gasket on that one LOL.... For me this is one of those albums I grew up with and songs I didn't like when I was younger are my favorites now. Ten or so years ago my entire Beatles collection UK and US vinyl releases walked out at a party. I was very unhappy and haven't rebuilt my collection since. The White Album is one of my favorites.

Seti, I now the feeling of a Turntable on wooden floors, it sucks, you have to sit there and hardly move, or walk across room after record side was done, or the guys come over, and the horseplay begins .............. there goes the stylus across the LP ............ Battled it for years, got this house with CEMENT floor in my snake-pit, and lo and behold, I get rid of my record collection ................. Go Figure !!!!!!!!!! Birthday, Back in the USSR, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Rocky Racoon ..................

I have been buying materiels to put additional supports under the house. The plan is to have 12 - 20 supports under the house. The crawlspace is rather large so the work will be easy. Hopefully my rebuilt turntable will be ready this month.

Number 9 Number 9 Number 9 Number 9

See, it's skipping as we speak ........................ 1/2 of the White Album,Sgt, Peppers ; Abbey Road ; Let It Be were their Best work, again, just my opinion, much of their work was ............... Never mind I won't go there ............... Remember they had a short 9 year career as the Beatles, and Lennon / McCarntey kinda' left George buried in the background, and squandered his many talents, and Ringo, he was just a passenger on the ride .............. Now that I think about it, I had all the Beatles stuff on Vinyl, and never replaced any of it on CD .... not a one did I rebuy .......

Darn double posts ........................ Seti don't get mad, but ABBEY ROAD was their Masterpiece, and nothing would even come close, I think it was better than Sgt. Peppers, but timing was everything with Sgt. Peppers, and it was kinda' ground breaking, but Abbey Road was a finely crafted album, and a fitting end to the Beatles !!!!!!!!!!!...."And in the End ......................."

The Beatles work is so varried there is something for everyone. Abbey Road is good but I wouldn't call it their masterpiece. I'd rank White Album or Magical Mystery tour up there with Abbey Road but I do lean towards the trippy and experimental side of them. Although there isn't a Beatles record that I don't absolutely love. Have you heard the re-releas of Let it Be called Let It Be.....Naked. They pulled all the studio BS that Phil Spector add to it.

Billy Preston, the fifth Beatle? Perhaps. But the sixth Rolling Stone? I'd have to say Ian Stewart (1938-1985). Stu predates Jagger, Richards, Wyman, and Watts and was the first to answer Jones' ad in 1962. When they were inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame in '89, the group asked that his name be permanently added as a member of the group. Preston was a tremendously talented musician (with a Stones connection from 1973-76) but Stu will always have a place in my heart as the "sixth Stone". Talk to you soon, oldbuckster. I'm on a mission with you now! [:D]

To get back on topic, I'm still listening to Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black". It came out about this time last year. She's got some serious issues but also great potential. BTB is kind of retro sounding, with really nice production values. More 60's than anything I've hear in a long time. She's troubled and it wouldn't surprise me at all to read in tomorrow's paper that she's gone. Hopefully she'll get past this period. Great voice!

After seeing Derek Trucks on the Crossroads 2007 dvd, I got some tickets to see him at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta on New Year's eve. It will be my 25 th wedding anniversary so maybe I'll get lucky (by having a good night of music, of course). Also at the show will be the North Mississippi Allstars. Can't wait. Ticket price was $35, not including junk fees.