Universal players

wpines

Over five years old now -- replaced by the DV60. Wow, almost $6000 -- I wonder if it would bring as much improvement to the sound as a pair of Jubilees?

Around $2000 you have the Marantz DV9600 and the Parasound D200. At around $1000 I haven't seen anything I like better than the NAD T535.

I am getting an Oppo 981HD for Christmas. I know this because I ordered it myself [:D].

Since I transfer all my digital audio to music server and playback through vastly superoir Card Deluxe and ESI soundcards I am not all that concerned about the audio performance (though reviews have it has pretty dern good), a boatload of reviewers suggest only marginal video improvement in players at 1000.00 and up. I mean, 1080p upsampling and Faroudja is pretty hard to beat, and pretty nigh impossible at 229.00.

Dave

Dean:

I assume you are talking audio processor (DAC). That is true of any stand alone CD player except possibly for the $$$$$$ cost variety. That's why I use PC DACs. I am sure there are those here who might suggest some $$$$$ players are better, but I hear nothing but music from what I have so I am satisfied.

While I am sure these are nothing but tin eared editorial hacks:

OPPO DV-981HD 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player - The Absolute Sound Product of the Year Award

OPPO DV-980H 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player - Audioholics 2007 Consumer Excellence Award

OPPO DV-981HD 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player - The 2008 Sound+Image Awards

OPPO DV-970HD and DV-981HD Up-Converting Universal DVD Player - The Absolute Sound 2007 Editors' Choice Awards

OPPO DV-981HD 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player - Digital Trends Editors' Choice Award

OPPO DV-981HD 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player - 2007 SoundStage! Network Reviewers' Choice Award

I only copied the audio-oriented awards and left out the 50 or so rave reviews and video awards as irrelevant. There are too many of them anyway...

While I will still do most of my listening from my music server, I suspect the sound of this thing will be tolerable, at least.

Dave

Over five years old now -- replaced by the DV60. Wow, almost $6000 -- I wonder if it would bring as much improvement to the sound as a pair of Jubilees?

Around $2000 you have the Marantz DV9600 and the Parasound D200. At around $1000 I haven't seen anything I like better than the NAD T535.

That's why I posted the DV50. A friend has one. They can be had for $2250 or so.

I have a Philips 963 SA with the blackgate mod that has been sitting for a year. Box, manual, etc I can be convinced to part with it. A great player.

Yes, the Oppo really does do it for me. All of the good reviews referenced by Mallete got me to buy the Oppo out of curiousity and it's audio performance is top top notch. I was curious as to what others were using. It seems as if you'd be wasting your money on anything other than the Oppo unless you spend well into the thousands. At it's performance/price point, why would anyone buy anything else unless your looking to spend more than 10x this amount for a "high end" piece.

Chris, that's still a lot of money for a player that's five years old. That's about how old my Sony is and I'm starting to have problems with the transport.

Dave, good info -- I was going off of things I'd read by owners on the other forums. It would be great if you'd hook it up old school and tell us what you think about the sound,

Chris, that's still a lot of money for a player that's five years old. That's about how old my Sony is and I'm starting to have problems with the transport.

Dave, good info -- I was going off of things I'd read by owners on the other forums. It would be great if you'd hook it up old school and tell us what you think about the sound,

I'm surprised. Sony has a reputation for making a solid machine. I have a Denon DCD 1400 CD player that I bought in 1989 that I still use as a transport. It still works great.