Quetsion about receiver/speaker setup... speaker sensitivity

slammy77

just got my 1st klipsch 5.1 system, the RB-51 system. My question regards sensitivity ratings.

The RB-51 fronts are 92dB, kinda low for Klipsch bookshelf models

The RC-52 center is 96dB

The RS-42 surrounds are 93dB

My Sony receiver allows me to adjust the power going to the center channel and surrounds individually, on a scale of -6 to +6. My way of thinking is to set the center output to -4 (because 96dB - 92dB = 4dB) and the surrounds to -1 (because 93dB - 92dB = 1dB). Is this how it's supposed to work or am I barking up the wrong tree?

The reason you want to set each speaker's level using a meter (or your ears, though not the preferred method) in the primary listening position, versus just attempting to compensate using math against the sensitivity, is that there are many room-based variables which will affect the volume of a speaker at your listening position.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bring up a very old thread, but I havea similar question about speaker level setting in relation to sensitivity of each speaker.

Same situation...I have the RC-52 center (at 96db) and the RB-51 fronts (at 92db)....should the RC-52 level be lowered to match the RB-51s or raise the RB-51s to match the RC-52?

Or... lower the RC -52 slightly and raise the RB-51 slightly to meet in the middle?

This is how I currently have it, with just 1db higher on the center.

What is recommended in this situation...and no I do not have a sound meter and probably won't be getting one right off.

personally, i like to just listen to the pink noise and level it by ear. If not that, i like to adjust it based on how much sound i want, my rears for instance, i want them to be louder than they probably should be because i liked to feel more enveloped, i also like to jack my center channel up so i can hear voices more clearly, i am in an apt so i wanna hear voices from the center more than the rumble for my L/R channels, it all depends on your situation.