longing for the 70's

duchess

• Moderators

Perhaps trying to match your outfit??

Ha! I fully realize my outfit is completely hideous also, no worries! Every single picture of me taken in the 70's inevitably draws a laugh. Seems my mother certainly wasn't exempt of the horrible taste in fashion and decor of the day...as displayed in the photo below--sorry Mom!

Mom (left) with her 2 sisters and my gramma (seated) in 1972.... Ugh, the outfits! (not to mention the curtains!)

Let's see your hideous 70's photos!!

1972.bmp

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Recently, a young woman in her twenties commented to me about the "cheesy 80s". I laughed and told she was lucky she wasn't around in the 70s, the decade of cheese.

Times have really changed. Here's a shot of me in 1974 with my Yamaha TD-3 race bike and my first pair of trophies. I'm in the basement and yes, that's a fishnet t-shirt. I cut my hair in 1981 and it's mostly been short ever since.

post-23736-13819354854676_thumb.jpg

Pat, you are a brave, brave man for posting that.

As far as the music in the 70's, don't forget almost all of Zeppelin was recorded in the 70's, most of the best of Pink Floyd, the best of Yes, ELP, lots of great Zappa, Chick Corea and Return to Forever, Oscar Peterson live on Pablo, Some Girls--Rolling Stones, Bootsy's Rubber Band, Parliament Funkedelic, Talking Heads, Billy Cobham solo albums to name a few. Overall, IMO, the 70's had awesome music played by true master musicians and the more one listens to it, the better it gets.

As far as the music in the 70's, don't forget almost all of Zeppelin was recorded in the 70's, most of the best of Pink Floyd, the best of Yes, ELP, lots of great Zappa, Chick Corea and Return to Forever, Oscar Peterson live on Pablo, Some Girls--Rolling Stones, Bootsy's Rubber Band, Parliament Funkedelic, Talking Heads, Billy Cobham solo albums to name a few. Overall, IMO, the 70's had awesome music played by true master musicians and the more one listens to it, the better it gets.

Don't forget Earth, Wind and Fire, Johnny and Edgar Winter, James Gang, Jethro Tull, The Eagles, Alice Cooper, The Who, The Tubes, Bruce Springsteen, as well as many more.

• Moderators

Exactly Pat. That's why it torques me when people associate the decade with nothing more than disco and polyester.

I realize a lot of great things came out of the 70s. Me, for one [:)] Seriously, the 70s was a great decade, fashion and color patterns aside. Great movies, TV shows, cool cars...huge advancements in computers and medicine.

But it's so fun to rag on the polyester and pea green/mustard yellow color pallets! It was only slightly worse than the neon 80's color scheme, however...

Sorry, I can't resist taking this thread off-topic once more......because of the awesomely hideous 1974 chair fabric! What were they thinking...

Amy,

Great pic on the 70's chair. We had one of those, exact same chair and upholstery AND a couch to match.

Thanks for the great reminder.

• Moderators

Amy, WOW your son looks just like you in the second photo. Like you said, the 70's brought many great things, 35 years ago today I was brought into this world Big Smile Happy Birthday to me!!!

Yes, looking at some of my pics when I was three, I'd swear we were twins.... and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, fellow 70's baby!!! [^] [<:o)]

think what many associate as "the 60s" was really from about 1969-~1973. And that was a golden period for music.

Then
the 70s was from 74/75 on- until you want to let it die depending upon
your take on disco, punk, or the seemingly incessant sounds of
Foreigner and Journey or the death of a once fine band called Fleetwood
Mac with the addition of Buckingham and Nicks and seemingly endless
covers of JJCale songs by Clapton, not to mention the emergence of
Steve Miller pop muzak... Ick!

Mark ..

we see a lotta things ...

the Same way ...[:)]

You might OB, Duke might too, but that ignores a lot of great stuff that mas seems to have forgotten. 1978 was a great year too. Even 1977 had the Talking Heads '77.

Certainly there were some notable exceptions...I would also include the Dixie Dregs, the Police, Devo and of course many others.

But when we balance the preponderance of the schlock versus the good stuff and then compare that to that period of the mid 60s up to the mid 70s .. wow...[:o]

[;)]

Good music versus schlock is always the exception in any era. As time fades the good stuff lasts and the schlock can be forgotten. The sixties are no exception. There was tons of crap but no one remembers because it was unexceptionable crap. Maybe the schlock from the later 70's is more memorable than that, in other words crap so bad the people remember it.