longing for the 70's

duchess

With all due respect, i think just looking at the main categories of music that dominated each decade makes the difference radically apparent.

1960’s

British
Invasion

Folk
Rock

Garage

Motown

Psychedelic

Rock
and Pop

Soul

1970’s

Classic Rock

Glam
Rock
Northern
Soul

------- ~mid 70's
Disco

Punk

Just tally up the number of categories where you feel good about the
majority of the music versus you negatives. The 60's own this issue,
and if you like Rock, there is no doubt that the strongest period was
the late 60's to the early 70's. [;)]

But hey, like what you like.

This is just intended solely as a fun inconsequential casual comparison.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hear ya mas, and agree to the casualness. However, classic rock did not die by the mid 70's. Plus, classic rock had such virtuosity that so-called 60's rock sounded like mere child's play. Plus Zappa was still around to poke fun at all the pretenders.

The late 60's and early 70's were definitely a heyday I must agree.

I still hold that at the margin, by which I mean that the best of the 70's destroys the best of the sixties.

p.s. Has anyone noticed that the thread starter made this one post and has never been heard from again?

I believe I'm with mas here.

Certainly the turn of a decade (year 1970) was not a year establishing a watershed of cultural trends. Rather, IMHO, the years of 1965 to 1975 marked fairly well the very beginning, middle, and very end of a critical tidal swell period. Much was crunched in the middle times of that decade, of course.

It is interesting to observe that this was when the baby boomers came to be young adults. And there was The War, civil rights, asasinations,The Beatles, the space race, the gas crisis, federal bumpers, no lead gas, etc.

Gil

Wouldn't you say, 65 thru 75 was the real decade of musical change,................. EH, Duke ??????

If we only got a decade you pretty much nailed it,I would go 67 to 77.I'm glad we don't have to choose,there's lotsa good music from many decades.

As far as longing for the 70's,I'd be glad to go do it again but I still do it now so.......

Also,great pic's and JB needs an intervention,ha.

With all due respect, i think just looking at the main categories of music that dominated each decade makes the difference radically apparent.

1960’s

British Invasion
Folk Rock
Garage
Motown
Psychedelic
Rock and Pop
Soul

1970’s

Classic Rock
Glam Rock
Northern Soul

------- ~mid 70's
Disco
Punk

Just tally up the number of categories where you feel good about the majority of the music versus you negatives. The 60's own this issue, and if you like Rock, there is no doubt that the strongest period was the late 60's to the early 70's. Wink

So you want to go with popular culture now? And all this time you gave the impression you were above all that. Jazz is not on your list, maybe you did not seek it out at that time, maybe you just were not exposed to the finer things in music, except drummer jokes.

Everyone is going to have a difference of opinion on this type subject, this is only gathering personal opinions on what was a great music decade .....I chose 65 to 75, because that music had the most change and meant something to me ............... from sorta' top 100 AM Radio, to Beach Boys,(Yes, I listened to the Beach Bums, I mean Boys), then progressed to SOUL MUSIC, real music, OTIS, ARETHA, WILSON, and Booker T and The MG's, ever notice how many albums bear STEVE CROPPERS name? and then that JIMI HENDRIX fellow took me for a ride, and I've never returned, EC, JEFF BECK, ALVIN LEE, MICK- KEITH, and the Lads from LED ZEPPELIN ............... Thanks Guys it's been Fun, still is to me, but life moves on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some will tell you it was the SEX, some will tell you it was the DRUGS, I'm tellin' Ya', it was the MUSIC ................... "LONG LIVE ROCK" ...........

1960’s

British Invasion
Folk Rock
Garage
Motown
Psychedelic
Rock and Pop
Soul

1970’s

Classic Rock
Glam Rock
Northern Soul

------- ~mid 70's
Disco
Punk

Just tally up the number of categories where you feel good about the majority of the music versus you negatives. The 60's own this issue, and if you like Rock, there is no doubt that the strongest period was the late 60's to the early 70's. Wink

So you want to go with popular culture now? And all this time you gave the impression you were above all that. Jazz is not on your list, maybe you did not seek it out at that time, maybe you just were not exposed to the finer things in music, except drummer jokes.

Give me a bit of a break!...

We talk in the thread of Disco and you are chastizing me for dealing with pop culture? How much lower can we go??? That was the topic as defined by everyone so far! And it was a primary break point in the decade - whether either of us liked it or not! (And trust me, it can't get mush lower than Disco...or at least so i thought until the advent of Rap! - the music for people who can't play music!)

And jazz - OK, maybe the advent of fusion, but as far as market share or prominence in the 70's, we may as well be talking about Polkas and Square Dancing - which I also failed to list. [;)]

Like it or not, those were the major markets then. And I am not responsible for defining them either. Maybe that is another reason for not missing them them too badly as well![:P]

[;)]