Custom 3 Review?Please Help....

nyc_drummer23

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm interested in the custom 3 earphones but I can't seem to find a review on them. I was wondering if any of you guys here have the custom 3 so they can let me know if they are happy with them and also what kind of return policy klipsch has if im not satisfied with them. I'm a drummer so I really need a good pair of isolation earphones with a good bass response to hear my kick drums and the bass guitar while I jam with the band. I had Ultimate Ears Super.FI 5 EB earphones but I lost them with my ipod in a cab so now I'm looking in the market for a new smaller and better pair of earphone monitors.

Any advice will be greatly apreciated......thanks.

It's not a review per se, but gives you plenty of information..............

http://www.klipsch.com/headphones/custom-3/

OR

icon-quote.gif
Amy Unger:
We made the front page of
today!
Yes

Yes, I also thought this was very exciting as Engadget is a very popular website. If you haven't read the article yet - check it out!

Here is a link to the actual article:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/30/klipschs-image-earphones-deemed-worlds-smallest/

Also, for you Digg users, Digg the story up!
http://www.digg.com/gadgets/World_s_Smallest_Lightest_Earphones

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/96986/981195.aspx#981195

Dear Guywholikestohitthings,

I can appreciate your need for a good "THUMP" from the kickdrum. This is exactly what I was going for when Custom 3 was designed. The snap from the snare is just like you were there at the concert. The only thing you need to add is the viceral shake to your pant legs from the kickdrum.

Go for Custom 3 dude. There is a return policy if you don't like them. They should be in stock shortly. Jay is salivating waiting for his pair.

Dear Guywholikestohitthings,

I can appreciate your need for a good "THUMP" from the kickdrum. This is exactly what I was going for when Custom 3 was designed. The snap from the snare is just like you were there at the concert. The only thing you need to add is the viceral shake to your pant legs from the kickdrum.

Go for Custom 3 dude. There is a return policy if you don't like them. They should be in stock shortly. Jay is salivating waiting for his pair.

I'm waiting to shank someone [:)]

oh btw mark, ummm is it possible to review other headphones like I mentioned in indy? to give a unbiased review, eh sorta?

• 2 weeks later...

The Custom 3's are now in production so it is just an issue of shipping and distribution logistics. I would hope next week but I am only guessing. I would have to check our logistics group to see the ETA. I will post this info when I know.

Anything new to report since this post? [:D]

• Moderators

We have a very limited number of Custom-3s en route to our distribution center (very limited, unfortunately). I believe they are already spoken for, and I'm awaiting an update to determine when more will be on the way.

These tiny things are hard to build!

Thanks to all for your continued patience...

We have a very limited number of Custom-3s en route to our distribution center (very limited, unfortunately). I believe they are already spoken for, and I'm awaiting an update to determine when more will be on the way.

These tiny things are hard to build!

Thanks to all for your continued patience...

Any possibility of a pre-order with accompanying discounts? [:P]

Thank You Peter for conveying the status of Custom 3 to the Head-fi Forum. You are definitely paying attention to our product status especially for Custom 3. Amy wants to hire you as her assistant but I would guess she wouldn't pay you enough for your qualifications. [:D]

We had a meeting this morning with manufacturing to get updates on production status for headphones. Custom 1 & 2 are producing very well with hardly a reject. IMAGE headphones have had some yield issues on the cosmetics for anodization but now that we have two vendors sourcing the chassis parts production can keep up with the high demand required. The newest model that people have been waiting on is Custom 3. We have shipped a reasonable quantity already, but I believe that they have been distributed to our customers already. This dual driver design we believe will set new standards for the audio industry, competing with higher priced models with additional armatures. The down side is that we have not been able to ramp up as quickly because of several things. All the piece parts are available but we only have one skilled set of hands (excluding the Dr.) that can successfully build the design since precision is a requirement for assembly. Secondarily we have had a test jig malfunction which production has been waiting on for upgrades. This is planned to come on line tomorrow so we will start production again Saturday. I don’t expect the shortages to occur much longer unless demand is higher. I will keep you posted as to our status to sticking Custom 3 in your ear…

I forget if this has already been addressed or not, but are the armatures used in the Custom-3 actually made by Klipsch or are they made by a third-party (such as Sonion, Knowles, etc.)?

EDIT: It seems that the Custom-2 utilizes a dual-driver (KG534) manufactured by Sonion. Am I right to assume that Sonion also makes the KG723 and the KG732 drivers? Are these specially designed exclusively for Klipsch or rebrands of existing Sonion balanced armatures?

Hi Peter,

The armatures that Klipsch implements are all custom designs built by Sonion for Klipsch. Armatures are really in demand and Sonion has difficulty keeping up with demand. Predicting what models will be most popular is their issue since they need to plan production lines a year or two ahead of demand. We were lucky enough to be able to have them build for our needs eventhough we don't have the volume business yet that others do. But thanks to Eric Hruza, and Greg Hovland, Sonion has faith in our design and marketing capabilities. So they have budgeted resources for our needs. The synergy between our companies allows us to work well together, thus there are some proprietary designs that we have co-patented and some unique things that nobody else is using. Most of these issues deal with coil windings, resonance tuning and bass enhancement. All of these effect the EQ of the design. Each armature size and shape effects the timbre that you hear. So there are a multitude of options to define. On top of that the dampers and nozzles that Klipsch define give you the final EQ that you can hear an appreciate.