My blank slate

Oblio

Well, almost ...

I've not posted much (or for awhile for that matter) but have finally gotten started on our listening room.

Room is approx 26.5' x 12.5' with a 10' opening on the back wall that opens into a hallway and stairway landing.

I've set the Klipschorns on the long wall to start and am driving them with a Sansui 8080 with a Bose waveradio [:$] as I still have not gotten my LPs out of storage, nor tried to set up my turntable yet.

We will probably also use this for HT room sometime in the future.

Will post pics when I figure out how ...

My semi-technical question is:

What next [:)]

post-27059-13819354783312_thumb.png

Is that in your finished basement?

Yes, in what we call the Karaoke Room :)

Turns out our house was a comp house for a YKK (the Japanese zipper giant) VP and he filled up this room with 4 (2 shown above) blue Pleather sofas, the low wooden tables (also in pic) and presumably a Karaoke machine. Note some of the 3 powered vents in the ceiling to exhaust cigarette smoke from the room.

We joked about this imagined room use prior to buying the house and were surprised to hear the YKK rep pretty much fill in the same story at closing.

I would be concerned that your listening position might not be optimal against the short wall with the khorns on the long wall.

Maybe today I will swap walls for an A/B test, It's been 15 years since my horns have been in a room where they are usable so I'm kinda in the 2nd honeymoon period right now, anything sounds great :)

• 1 month later...

Just some thoughts:

In either orientation I would consider bass traps in two corners (any corner) and "first bounce" diffusers on at least the walls halfway to your listening position (see http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/99049.aspx?PageIndex=2). I recommend looking at Ready Acoustics Super Sub-Bass Traps: (http://www.readyacoustics.com/index.php?go=products.proddetails∏=RT426) or the DIY bags which are very good, if you can find the acoustic panels locally. The traps will smooth the standing wave notches a great deal, making your sweet spot wider. Listen for a reduction in listening variation as you move your listening position left-right.

The Khorns would also probably do well with ceiling diffusers since in the region around 500-2000 Hz the IF horn has reduced vertical directivity control. It might also help with the sound of pianos and female voices.

I would guess that the soundstage holds together better with the Khorns on the short wall. The area behind the couch with the opening to the "L" portion of the room is probably better behind you instead of beside your listening position. I would think about placing something that will diffuse the early reflections on the wall with window to the right of the window to make it more symmetric acoustically.

Chris A.

The soundstage has much less variation from L to R, and the bass response is flatter though that may be due to my listening position (not against the wall). A temporary plus is that my PC is against the other short wall so it sounds much better sitting here. It also seems a bit more muddled, which I am guessing is due to direct reflections off the long walls (I have zip in the way of room treatments).

I'm tossing around the idea of a Heritage HT setup, so I like the fact that I could seat 6 in this configuration.