Denon AVR-4802 vs Yamaha RX-V3200

Kain

Which is better and why. Please remember that I cannot audition these receivers and so have to rely on your opinions and comments.

Thanks! Smile.gif

------------------

Home Theater:

TV: Panasonic TH-42PW4 (42" 16:9 Plasma)

Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (230V version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Sony DVP-S9000ES

VCR: Sony SLV-ED100 (Hi-Fi VCR)

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Bump!

------------------

Home Theater:

hey kain, what happened to the dec/01 purchase/arrival date? what do u have so far?

i can't comment on the yammy, but i really liked the sound of the 4802 though it was a nonklipsch dealer i heard it at. i decided to go w/ seperates instead though. REALLY liked the features of the 4802. specially the adjustable crossover that let's u move down to 40 or 60hz. 7 channels of good, clean power.

all the latest formats like DPL2, thx post-processing & dts 6.1 discrete too.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

hey kain, what happened to the dec/01 purchase/arrival date? what do u have so far?

i can't comment on the yammy, but i really liked the sound of the 4802 though it was a nonklipsch dealer i heard it at. i decided to go w/ seperates instead though. REALLY liked the features of the 4802. specially the adjustable crossover that let's u move down to 40 or 60hz. 7 channels of good, clean power.

all the latest formats like DPL2, thx post-processing & dts 6.1 discrete too.

The Klipschs are being shipped from USA because they only had the black color and I wanted the cherry color.

------------------

Home Theater:

quote:

Originally posted by toddvj:

I don't know if anyone can comment on the Yammy. I haven't seen a 3200, not even a picture of it, or an estimated arrival time. Are you sure it exists?

Click here: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/ht/rxv3200.html

Smile.gif

------------------

Home Theater:

Display: Sony VPL-VW11HT LCD Projector

This message has been edited by KAiN64 on 01-08-2002 at 06:47 AM

Certainly looks like a nice unit. A couple things that would make me lean toward the Denon though:

The Denon is much more user friendly and easier to operate.

Both come with a cool remote, but the Denon's is much cooler.

The Denon is THX certified, which may not be a big deal to some, but it is to me.

The Denon does 7.1, the Yamaha does 6.1 (again not a big deal to some...)

Now the Yamaha has some advantages, too to help you make an informed descision.

I haven't heard the new Yamaha, but as a rule they usually edge out a similar priced Denon in sound quality (especially music)

The Yamaha offers Front Effects speakers, which can be very cool!

If you like DSP's, there is no comparison

The Yamaha offers a little more control, if you are a "tweaky" person, although the 4802 does give you a lot of options.

Hope this helps.

------------------

My Home Theater

quote:

Originally posted by toddvj:

Certainly looks like a nice unit. A couple things that would make me lean toward the Denon though:

The Denon is much more user friendly and easier to operate.

Both come with a cool remote, but the Denon's is much cooler.

The Denon is THX certified, which may not be a big deal to some, but it is to me.

The Denon does 7.1, the Yamaha does 6.1 (again not a big deal to some...)

Now the Yamaha has some advantages, too to help you make an informed descision.

I haven't heard the new Yamaha, but as a rule they usually edge out a similar priced Denon in sound quality (especially music)

The Yamaha offers Front Effects speakers, which can be very cool!

If you like DSP's, there is no comparison

The Yamaha offers a little more control, if you are a "tweaky" person, although the 4802 does give you a lot of options.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Smile.gif

But I heard that Denon is better for movies and Yamaha is better for music.

------------------

Home Theater:

Display: Sony VPL-VW11HT LCD Projector

Hey i have a question for you guys. I have RF-3's with a yamaha RXV-800 and was thinking about trying out different receivers on my speakers. I prefer a warmer sound, I think it is the receiver and not the speakers. From hearing your replies i do not get that warm sound i am looking for in this yamaha, or is it just the RF-3's. I have not hooked another receiver up to my speakers since i bought them. I was just wondering if you guys had any experience with this sound i am looking for and can point me to that warm receiver i am looking for. denon or onkyo?

I've always been a fan of the Yamaha/Klipsch combo. I recently picked up the RX-V800 after comparing it with the Denon 1802, 2803, and 3802 models. Price (open box) on the Yamaha probably clouded my hearing though!

I also have RF-3's, and I suppose they might have sounded a little "bright" when hooked up to the Yamaha at first. But then I bi-wired them, and hooked up the main preouts on the receiver to my old Yamaha M-60 amp, and tied the RF-3's to the amp. The sound was certainly "warm" after that.

I like the build of the new RX-V series of receivers better than most of all the other brands I've researched also. They seem to have very low distortion also. This is the first receiver I've owned. But like I've said, I've always liked Yamaha/Klipsch ever since I first hooked a CA610II integrated amp to a pair of Heresy speakers back in 1980.

Hmmm. I tried most brands of receivers at home with my Scala's. I kept the Yamaha RXV-620 because it is the most natural sounding receiver. Others were too harsh sounding with my Klipsch. Even my wife noticed how good the Yamaha sounds.

------------------

Yamaha RX-V620 receiver

1976 Klipsch La Scala's

Klipsch KSW12 Sub.

Klipsch SC1 Center

Klipsch KG 3.5 rears

Panasonic RV31 DVD

Sharp 32" TV

OK here is the sound that i hear from my RF-3's and yamaha combo, shrill at times, very small sounding in other words skinny sounding, and the sound seems like it doesnt have that texture, sounds dull, the Rf-3's sound restricted. Dont get me wrong these RF-3's are one of the best speakers i have ever heard i just think my receiver is a bad combo. I do have a small room though so i took them down stairs hooked them up in my parents larger room and the sound isint what i expected very small skinny sounding like the speakers had no umph and also too bright at times. My room is small 11'X 7' and they sound smaller and even worse down stairs in 2x larger room. and i turned the bass up and that did not help. I played around with placement alot still no avail. One thing i also notice the woofers do not woof when i Play music even bass heavy music loud, my speaker woofers hardly move, even with my 15" sub you cant even tell it moves with huge bass now i do not know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, i think i am leaning more toward a good thing. Now, do i have a defective receiver or is this just yamaha's style? What I am looking for in sound is more juicier(texture) warmer and most of all more FULL(powerful) sounding I am starting to look at the denon and onkyo $800 range of receivers. You guys have any tips of suggestions for me?? No amps i am not ready to go with seperate amps but will in the far distant future.