differences between heresy I and "1.5's"

mark electro

Can anyone tell me when the transition years of the H-1's were (by transition I mean 1.5's)?

What differences in sound quality(if any) compared to H-1's?

I have a pair of 1978 H-1's and love them. I also have an oppertunity to get another pair but I think they might be 1.5's.

Will there be a notable difference in the sound?

One could argue that in the early 80's, round about late 83 through the final production runs of the H-I in late 84, that a "1.5" tag could be applied, but not officially, per se. There were several reasons; the change from the E crossover to the E2 crossover. The substitution of the K53/701 midrange for the K55/700, and the use of a K-24 woofer as opposed to the K-22. Dimensionally and appearance wise, they were the same, but those changes made some difference in sound.

The tweeter stayed the same?

Yes, it had to because the K76 "horn" was a larger throat opening and could only be screwed on from the front. With the advent of the H-II, the drivers were then front mounted in the recess routed out on the driver board. It would not fit inside the H-I.

How do they (H-1 vs H"1.5") sound? Now that's a "horn loaded" question (pretty "punny", I suppose...).

I like the later versions of the H-I, but many don't. Many would say the original K-22 and K55 combination was much better; in a way, it's going to be your ears.... The K-53/701 horn seemed to be more balanced, and less "harsh", but then again, the crossover was a slightly different arrangement if I recall.

If I had to pick a "favorite" of all the Heresy's, I would pick the Heresy-II's from about 1989 on, and second would be the 76-77 Heresy-I's, but with the round magnet K-77 weeter instead of the square magnet K-77. The K-77 tweeter is very good, it's just my ears like the round magnet one (or BEC's CT-125) better. It really boils down to an A vs B listen for each individual; that's provided that the pairs being listened to have fresh caps, backs properly sealed, placement, etc.

Speaking of placement... Everyone will tell you that the Heresy needs to be placed on the floor and preferably in a corner. That is true. On the other hand, and in my case, "floor" space with corners is at a premium; not to mention that any object the size of a Heresy on the floor runs the risk of getting kicked, banged etc from the kids running amok.... So, I use the Heresys as "bookshelf" speakers (literally..), up high, or recessed near the floor in a TV/HT bookshelf/stand. I also use them as speaker system "B" on top of Cornwalls in a HT arrangement with LaScalas as a center in one room, and on top of Klipschorns ("Oh the Heresy of it all!!") in the "wall of voodoo" room.

Do they sound ok, yup, sound fine, depending on what I'm listening to, etc. The H-I's, properly sealed, etc. sound fine for HT use 6 feet off the ground as the left and right for a HT system. Space is at a premium, so you do what you gotta do... On the other hand, while bass is probably getting wacked a bit, "pounding" bass was never the top of my list so much as "clean" bass. Even if I'm clipping off 10 Hz by "poor placement", the bass is still there and still "clean". It's a personal preference issue as will be anyone's choices in speakers, placement, mods, etc.

A note on putting them on top of Klipschorns or Cornwalls as a B pair. I've always been told that I'm not supposed to do that.... but, I like the effect and the clarity that I perceive.The ones on top of the Klipschorn's are normally used independently of the Klipschorns, particularly if I'm working at home and listening to NPR, etc. I'm almost finished with a highly modified pair of Heresy-I's that will go on top of the Klipschorns to better match the K'horns if I want to run both pairs at the same time. A BEC modified tpe E crossover with a 4500 mid/high cross; a Selenium D250X midrange on a K-700 horn, and a BEC CT-125 tweeter.

The Heresy is an extremely useful speaker. Over the years I've probably had 15 or more pairs in various models and finish configurations. They are small dimensionally, they can pretty much be used in any application, they are certainly easy (and cheap...) to modify, very easy to refinish, and not too heavy to move around. I've only got 4 pairs of them now (2 H-I "traditional"), a H-"1.5" version, and the "X-treme" modded H-I pair, and all for different applications.

So much for rambling about probably my favorite Klipsch speaker.

• Like 1

Hey Marshall,

Thanx again.

I,ve owned H II's(back in '92); and thought they were smoother and louder.

Haven't had the privelege of an A/B test as of yet; but in general I think I am over joyed with the H I's.

I think I will get the second pair because the price is excelent (so is the condition of cabinets and drivers).

Only problem now is if I show up with another set of speakers I might get thrown out of MY house.

That's ok; do what she want's to me but leave my Klipsch alone.

Mark

• 16 years later...
On 1/4/2008 at 2:25 AM, Groomlakearea51 said:

that's provided that the pairs being listened to have fresh caps, backs properly sealed, placement, etc.

What caps would you recommend on the H1s?

How do you properly seal the back on the H1s?

What do you recommend for placement?

Thanks! I'm in the process of buying some H1s the Heresy-E out of Europe. Any reason to stay away from those?

18 hours ago, ToddT said:

Thanks! I'm in the process of buying some H1s the Heresy-E out of Europe. Any reason to stay away from those?

I hope Groomlakearea51 is doing well. His last post was 2016.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ToddT said:

Contact JEM Performance Audio, Jim will give you info on a crossover rebuild kit.

I sealed the backs of mine with Parts Express speaker gasket foam, 3/8” wide I believe.

Heresy-E were just exported models sold at military shops, exactly the same as any other Heresy of the time.

• Like 4