Members Weekly Music Recommendations Jan 7th

seti

BEASTIE BOYS

TheMix-Up.jpg

MIXED UP

Jazz-Funk, Instrumental Rock, Hip-Hop

Ok I don't like everything by the Beastie Boys do but they have some tracks that are amazing. If you think you hate the Beastie Boys pick up the album Check Your Head and listen to some of the Jazz influenced tracks as they are incredible. Their latest release Mixed Up which is a great instrumental CD. I have been listening to it for 2 weeks just can't get it out of my head.

Sample the tracks here http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Mix%20Up:1922729499:upc=094639408528

Well 2007 is history, good-bye old year .................. of all the music I got last year, CD's and DVD's, What was my favorite of the Year of 2007.......

AND THE WINNER IS ...................

Mr. JERRY LEE LEWIS ........... LAST MAN STANDING .................. DVD ...................

This DVD to me, is the standard of what all DVD concerts should be, Great picture, shot well, and the best 5.1 Surround sound I've heard on a DVD, including the Pulse, a line-up of guest stars, and some good ol' Jerry Lee Lewis music. The sound just fills the room, instruments, and voices everywhere in the room, wonderful sound. And the man himself, The Killer, takes a back seat to no-one, what a performer, the man, the myth, the legend. Jump on the band wagon Gents, he won't be with us forever, see and hear a TRUE ROCK 'N ROLL LEGEND ...................

Sorry I'm just checking in guys. Welcomed the New Year with a nasty little cold but I'm back in action and ready to rumble on the music scene.

Wonderful people here and I can wait to spend another year driving you all crazy. Talk about crazy. This weeks recommendation is really crazy because you can't buy it, so unless you cozy up to Seti, you can't even hear it!

The Beatles, non-releases, pop, cd

So you thought you had heard everything the Beatles had put out by now. So did several of my friends when we took a little trip through Virginia wine-country in early November. With rare exceptions Virgina wines are mediocre, but the country side and the vineyards are not. A warmish day with bright sunshine, surprisingly good fall colors for so late in the season, the conviviality of old friends while we motored down country roads. Myself and four buddies from back in the day who to a man (and women) are die hard Beatles fans, steeped in the arcane lore of Beatlemania, one still holds a canceled ticket to their first stateside appearance in Washington, DC.

Me, until they grew up a bit and got creative, I could care less for their treacly pop tunes, fodder for 14 year old girls. I very much preferred the hard edge of working class heroes, the Animals and The Rolling Stones, Mitch Rider and the Detroit Wheels , Booker T and Them singing "Here comes the Night".

"Hey", I say, " one of my Klipsch friends sent me a couple of cd's marked "Extremely Rare Beatles" , wanna give it a listen?

Groans from all. You see I never kept track of who was singing what back in then day so every time they see me I'm pressing onto them something I've just discovered but they've heard a thousands times. These are serious old-school rock and rollers who've been to more clubs and cconcerts than most of us have had bowel movements.

Screw it I think. I'd surprised them last year on a similar expedition with the cd from Dylan's last film which they had never heard before and acknowledged at the end of the trip that it fit the day perfectly, so I'll give it another go. Since I hadn't heard the cd's either maybe we'll all be surprised.

In she goes, and we continue down the road chatting away for a minute or two when the reality starts to set in. Nobody's heard these cuts before. Most seems to be studio outtakes, dialogs between the boys as they fool with the songs and generally strange and entertaining stuff. One cut, sorry memory fails me, astonished my companions. Just love that sounds when jaws drop and you can hear them click back into place when they pull them up off the floor. On we went from winery to winery, the lads voices filling the air as we traveled the byways on a glorious fall day.

I'm deliberately not adding a lot of detail here about these two cd's. So contact Seti, beg and plead and maybe just maybe, he'll take pity on your lost soul yearning for words of wisdom from four young men who once changed the course of the world.

So what do you have to share this week?

I am so glad you liked those two cds. COOL! They are a part of a collection of rare outtakes and songs I have been collection for may years. One song I am completely obsessed with is on there in several versions so you can hear their progression in the studio. There is a Beatles book called the beatles sessions which describes everything they do in emi everyday they record. It is fun to find where the outtakes or demo fit in the book. The beatles with george martin and the emi engineers/scientist made some of the most important work to come to the music world.

Because it is the week of my birthday (actually was on the 7th), here are some of my favorites. This list could go on for pages, but I'll keep short for now. I can always add more later. I feel each is a classic and well worth adding to your collection, but like all things subjective, these are my music taste. Your mileage may vary.

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
The classic quintessential jazz album and one of the all time greats. I'm sure you’ve heard it. If you haven't, you’re missing something very special. For you vinyl guys, the album takes this recording to the next level. Take Five is truly breath taking.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Kind of Blue is a jazz album that has transcended the genre of jazz and become one of a handful of recordings whose very existence changes everything. It is the landmark jazz album. The album's lineup is one of the most astonishing of all time, featuring such greats as John Coltrane, Bill Evans and Cannonball Adderley. Together, they're the definitive classic jazz band whose collective greatness will likely never be matched. Listening to this album will immerse you at once in a world that is dark, brooding, sophisticated, very cool, sexy, and langorous. Bottom line is: if you don't have this record in your collection, you don't have a collection.

Kenny Burrell - Blue Midnight
Midnight Blue is one of those records that you just put on, sit back and relax. It is blues felt the way Kenny feels, no piano, just his own groove. It demonstrates just how closely linked the blues and jazz truly are

Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto
Here is another classic. You have all heard "The Girl from Ipanema", but did you know it was written about the seventeen year old HelĂ´ Pinheiro. She inspired Antonio Carlos Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes in 1962 to write this song. Sitting in a cafe they saw her every day going to the beach of Ipanema, a district of Rio de Janeiro. Also, on the album the girl singing is Astrud Gilberto, Joao's wife. She and Getz's wife, Monica, were in the studio to listen. There is some debate over who suggested Astrud try singing a verse; Stan, Joao or Monica, but whoever did, it created one of the most memorable songs in history. This is only one of the jewels on this album.

Patricia Barber - Modern Cool
This is an incredible album, right from the start. The very first cut "Touch of Trash" is sensuous music, showcasing Barber's voice and piano skills. Her voice is sultry and appealing. Close your eyes and just get lost in this smoky jazz.

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer
In 1963, Muddy went back to his roots, unplugged and straight up Mississippi Delta blues. With Willie Dixon adding some fat bass, this is Muddy in all its simplicity. This album catches the essence of Muddy and blues like no other. You feel like you’re there with Muddy sitting on a wooden chair, cigarette in hand and tapping your foot.

The Beatles – Revolver
The strength of Revolver, like many other albums, lies in the fact that over thirty years later, the songs still sound fresh and innovative. This album along with Rubber Soul (another favorite of mine), represent a transition from the pop style of earlier albums to the rock music of later years. Revolver is a very spacey, druggy, trippy and far out album

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Call it a product of my generation, nostalgia or whatever, but for me this album captures the feeling of the late 60's more than any other I can think of. Not the hippie free love but for the first time the real angst of a generation over issues like the Vietnam War. Things like the innovative recording of the musicians milling around as the lead in to Whats Going On that brings you into the scene. This one touches my soul.