The Pirates Can't Be Stopped

el jopez

OK, let me try this, I do not care for David Byrne or anything he has to say. There are many more Musicans whose opinion I put more faith in, and would be more open to their views. I don't believe my views are all based on emotions ............ well, maybe I'm a little sore from being jabbed by the Recording Industry ................ .. [:#]

OK, let me try this, I do not care for David Byrne or anything he has to say. There are many more Musicans whose opinion I put more faith in, and would be more open to their views. I don't believe my views are all based on emotions ............ well, maybe I'm a little sore from being jabbed by the Recording Industry ................ Broken Heart .. Zip it!

What the recording industry has done is nothing compared to the tuck rule.

Duke,

I hear ya!

And Buck:

The articles are both an interview regarding the business structure of a band who is now working independently as well as an article delineating the various business models available to artists.

It is an 'analystical' analysis of the various business models and how they have evolved in reference to the marketplace, NOT an opinion piece!

I have heard ridiculous excuses before, but....anything to avoid thinking...

Get a grip! But whatever you do, don't let facts confuse you! Geesh...

Why do I have the feeling that the only recording artist who could 'intelligently' discuss the subject with you in a way you would understand it is Barney?

[;)]

The concept of royalties still seems to be a thorn. Now don't forget I am all in favor of an artist making money for their work. So why not have royalties for viewing paintings and sculptures? Or how about not have them and therefore music does not get them either? Should artists take this to court and get a ruling? Should every human endeavor be only or mainly about money? If I burp in my yard and someone records it and then sells it as part of a greater work or even on its own, (and yes, my work in this field is worthy) do i get to sue for royalties and theft of well, ahem, intellectual property? After all, it was my concert that was stolen (bootlegged).

The one and only...[*-)]

I love you

You love me

We're a happy family

With a great big hug

And a kiss from me to you

Won't you say you love me too?

I love you

You love me

We're best friends

Like friends should be

With a great big hug

And a kiss from me to you

Won't you say you love me too?

If i'm not mistaken, I think you can blame Lee Bernstein !

The concept of royalties still seems to be a thorn. Now don't forget I am all in favor of an artist making money for their work. So why not have royalties for viewing paintings and sculptures?

Paintings and sculptures (and photographs, for that matter) are physical objects that almost always have a price attached to them. When you see a painting or sculpture in a museum or a collector's house, a price has already been paid for it, sometimes a very high price. Accordingly, royalties would be redundant.

Music, however, is performance art, and you either pay to see the performance (you have to pay the piper) or you pay to own a recording of the performance. In either of those cases, someone has worked hard to develop the skill and creativity to produce something worthwhile and unless the artist has his own recording company (some do), royalties or concert tickets are his only income, other than sponsorships, lines of clothing if he's a rapper (but sometimes with rap the music is just to promote the other lines of product) and maybe t-shirts.

To see the best paintings and sculptures in the world often means a trip to a museum or gallery an ocean away, but you can have a recording of the best musicians in the world for less than $20. Sure, it adds up if you want hundreds or thousands of recordings, but that's life. Hundreds or thousands of concert tickets aren't cheap either...

Yes Pat those are the basic facts but does nothing to address any fundamental philosophy. The painter also has worked hard to develop the skill and creativity for the work, and there also photographs or other reproduced images to address as well, which are analogous to a recording. Now I do realize that artists can and have (at least recently in history) exerted control over a work through licensing lithographs and prints. What I am throwing out for discussion is why one is valued differenty than the other, and should this be so, and does it have to be so? Merely making a distinction of performance art and physical (or shall we say visual?) art to me does not explain much philosophically, it only explains history.

Well, artists have to be compensated for their work somehow, and the music model of more sales = more popularity = more money is one that's worked for a long time. I haven't had a chance to read the David Byrne articles and I buy all my music in the form of physical media, LPs and CDs, so maybe I'm not up to date with current trends.

Do you have an alternative way of satisfying the needs of both the artists and their fans?

Hey mas, are you calling me Barney Fife, the same Barney who worked with Opie Taylors Dad ? You do want to fight ...... EH !!!!!! .. Huh?

Of course not!

I liked Barney Fife!!! [:P]

Sure, I'll fight ya', you old fart![:P][:D][;)]

I'll thumb 'wrassel' you 3 out of 5 falls...loser buys the beer ...but none of that skunk water you normally drink! [;)]

Maybe with a bit of luck you'll get eaten by one of those polar bears up there - but I already feel sorry for them and their resultant indigestion! Doesn't seem fair to the bears! [:P][:o][:D]

In the meantime, watch out for those @%#&$ Giants fans and stay warm, buddy![:D]

Old Fart, Skunk water Beer I drink, the bear that eats me will get indigestion ............. mas your pushin' me, pushin' me hard, and as far as Giant fans, it's not the Giants that's the issue up here, it has now become a Boston vs. New York ..... Red Sox vs. Yankees , McCoy and the Hatfields type deal, that tends to get pretty heated around these parts. Me, I really don't care who wins the Super-bowl now, my team, the Cowboys are gone. Just give us a good game ................... You want a piece of ME, you better bring a lunch, it will take you awhile ...... This Old Dawg BITES !!!!!!!!!!!! .... [:D]

Can pirates be stopped,only a few in the sea of piracy. In the music world most of the popular artists music is worth squat anyway.

I buy quality music from talented artists only...I do not even bother with popular music garbage that pollutes the airwaves. Pirating them is polluing my ears.