ART Cleanbox.........

SWL

If I'm not experiencing any kind of noise or lack of output from my pro-amps do I really need a type of converter to go from RCA to XLR? Other than being balanced all the way through, what other benefits will it give me?

The speaker volumes on my pre are at +9db and the test tones are at -8db. Like I said, everything sounds/seems normal.

Thanks guys, Scott.

Not sure that I fully understand what all you're asking so I'll just start answering! [;)]

If you can make a RCA/XLR cable (or buy an adapter), and use it in your system with no noise issues then I'd say you're done! I personally had some noise issues that once I installed the Cleanbox, went away. My understanding per Doc Who is, it's easier to go from XLR to RCA than it might be to go from RCA to XLR (that DOES mirror my real world experience)

Aside from that, if you are using XLR cables, my understanding is you can go some great distances with the signals (unlike RCA cables). I've got my basement room wired for several scenarios and one of them is amps on the opposite side of the room. I've run some XLR wires from my closet to some possible amp locations and I'll be putting some plug recepticles there so if I ever DO try to put an amp there, I've already got the hard part done (hiding the wires)

In my McIntosh amp, if I use XLR inputs, I the input sensativity is 5 volts whereas if I use RCA inputs, the input sensativity is 2.5 volts. As I understand it, the 2.5 volts will be MORE sensative and as such, might be more prone to picking up noise (??)

Hope that helped a bit

The cleanbox also matches impedance between components such as between the preamp and amps. If you are using a home audio pre, and a pro amp this is where you may need a cleanbox.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. A home audio pre with pro-amps. Of course I "may need a cleanbox" but if I'm not having any noise or output issues what would justify implementing a cleanbox other than having a totally balanced signal?

I'm using RCA to XLR cables (HOSA brand). From the reading that I've done it seems that the main reason guys are getting the cleanbox is to eliminate noise issues. I have none, hence my question. Will a totally balanced signal be that much audibly cleaner-louder?

The cleanbox also matches impedance between components such as between the preamp and amps. If you are using a home audio pre, and a pro amp this is where you may need a cleanbox.

Since I'm using my XTI's with a home audio pre-amp, I contacted Crown and they told me to make the impedances jive together I would have to have the pre-amp volumes at least +5db to make the amps work. I did just that and it worked but I settled at +9db. Test tones at -8db.

I'm using a home audio pre (Peach) and Crown XTIs....similar to you. I am only able to use 1 operating mode of the Peach that was designed for this application. I can't use its more basic better sounding mode due to the mismatched impedances. What I get if I try is low level music. I can raise the volume control but it doesn't have the punch of the other mode. It's not quite right. I used an Art Cleanbox and it rectified that situation so I could use both modes but it added noise to the point of dissatisfaction.....for me. Some people don't find this issue with these level matching boxes or have used much better boxes and get even better results. What I did was just use the adaptors like you are and keep the Peach in LoZ mode. Simple. It is just fine.....very good actually.

I'm using a home audio pre (Peach) and Crown XTIs....similar to you. I am only able to use 1 operating mode of the Peach that was designed for this application. I can't use its more basic better sounding mode due to the mismatched impedances. What I get if I try is low level music. I can raise the volume control but it doesn't have the punch of the other mode. It's not quite right. I used an Art Cleanbox and it rectified that situation so I could use both modes but it added noise to the point of dissatisfaction.....for me. Some people don't find this issue with these level matching boxes or have used much better boxes and get even better results. What I did was just use the adaptors like you are and keep the Peach in LoZ mode. Simple. It is just fine.....very good actually.

Interesting............about six months ago I was doing the same thing only I was using Crown XLS-802's with the Peach ll. In low-z mode or hi-z the sound was less than desirable. Hooked up the Peach to a tube amp upstairs and you can't get me out of there!! Last week I got rid of the XLS's and replaced them with XTI's. I think I'll try the XTI's with the Peach.

It sounds like you were not satidfied with the XLS amps even after you removed the Peach. Question: Do you get any hiss out of the XTIs? What speakers are you using?

RF-7's and no hiss whatsoever. The XLS's had an edgy, less natural sound to them. The 500 wpc definitely woke up the 7's. I liked the XLS's but they're not in the same league as the XTI's sound wise.

Does the Peach have a multi-channel mode for movies & concerts?

No, but it does have a pretty cool 'HT" feature.

What this allows is, imagine the Peach setup in a 2 channel setup. You have the outputs going to your amps then speakers. The volume knob controls the output and therefore the speakers, right?

ok... well if you have a seperate HT system and want to integrate your 2 speakers into it (and let them do double duty in 2 channel) then what happens is...

You take your chosen 2 channels of your HT systems output lines, patch them into the "HT" input of the Peach. What happens when you then turn the knob to "HT" on the Peach?

The signal comes into the Peach "HT" inputs from your HT head unit, BYPASSES the volume knob/circuit on the Peach and now the volume control of your HT unit now controls your amps and therefore speakers. The HT path is strictly a pass through signal and the Peach does not "control" it (so to say)

I hope I described it well. It allows you to have a dedicated 2 chanel system and then utilize those same 2 speakers into your HT system. In my case, since the wife is insisting on turning the room backwards (corners in rear), that relegates my Jubilees to doing 2 channel OR being rear effects speakers.

[:(]

Just hooked up the XTI's to the Peach and it sounds awesome!! Like they were meant to be together. The XLS's were just not compatible for some reason....?

Yeah. I've used and heard XLS amps in many different pro audio applications and never came away thinking they sounded more than passable. There's a good handful of amps in the same price range out there that sound better.

Just hooked up the XTI's to the Peach and it sounds awesome!! Like they were meant to be together. The XLS's were just not compatible for some reason....?

Yeah. I've used and heard XLS amps in many different pro audio applications and never came away thinking they sounded more than passable. There's a good handful of amps in the same price range out there that sound better.

Yea Ben, that's been exactly my experiences too.