Amp Catagories

PYRO

Trying to get an idea on amps. Right now I am running a Rotel RMB-1095. What amps would be a step up in the $2000-$4000 range. New Front speakers will most likely be CWIII's with surrounds and center from the heritage line as funds become available. 5-channel solid state. Sorry tube guys!!!!!

B & K?

Sunfire?

Yes the amp will be the next thing I will be selling. I will be putting it up for sale in 2-3 weeks in the garage. The amp is a tank, sounds good with my RF-7's. As with other Rotel Amps this one has the grounding issue. But is solved by using a 3 to 2 cheater plug. Otherwise it is a good amp.

I vote for Sunfire over B&K. Silky smooth,gracious ,immense power when and if ever needed. B&K are very competetent amps in general...if it is the top of the like B&K...ah then I say go with the big B&K.

If not Sunfire. You cannot seriously go wrong with these two brands. As they are both in the smooth sounding camp and we know Klipsch speakers by definition will bite when matched with edgy amp.

To me edge in sound,or any artificial harshness is simply a bad quality amp.

Has anyone paired up the NAD M25 amp with the NAD T 175 pre-amp? Seems like it would be a good combo. I thought about maybe going that route with my 82's or possibly upgrading to the 83's.

On the original note I always hear good things about Sunfire and B&K. Probably can't go wrong either way.

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/tech-review.php?rev=59

I've never owned one, but I've never read a bad review. I wish I could find the article where they had about 10 amps, blind A/B'd them and this amp came in 2'nd. There were some VERY expensive amps in the review. They make a 7 and a 5 channel version.

http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=405527&highlight=gemstone

In that price range, I'd look at a Bryston 9BSST. Exceptionally transparent, smooth and built like an iron ingot with a 20 year warranty. Some of the best sound I've ever got out of Klipsch has been with the Bryston SST series amps. They also make the Powerpac SST series which are the same modules in a monoblock version you can mount to the back of the speakers. Just run balanced interconnects to each one. This assumes you have power close to each speaker. With all due respect to the B&K's/Rotels/NAD's of the world, they are definitely the next level up.

Are you familiar with the CW sound? If not you may want to wait on an amp choice. The 7's & CW's are definately voiced differently.

What are you trying to say here? I am interested on you thoughts. Right now I have the RF-7's but I am returning to the Heritage line. I have owned Hersey II's and one of my friends had Lascala's.

Lascala's and K-horns are too big for my room so I was thinking of CW's as my best choice.

Thanks

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/tech-review.php?rev=59

I've never owned one, but I've never read a bad review. I wish I could find the article where they had about 10 amps, blind A/B'd them and this amp came in 2'nd. There were some VERY expensive amps in the review. They make a 7 and a 5 channel version.

http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=405527&highlight=gemstone

Interesting threads. I went to the local audio shop today and compared the Lexicon RX-7 and Anthem MCA 50. They were also trying to sell me the Anthem P5 but only had the P2 in stock (This thing is a monster).

Checked out the Anthem D2 which is sweet.

Going to checkout Sunfire and B & K this weekend.

I too had 7's before heritage & found the overall sound quite different. You certainly are familiar with the sound of both lines. I found an H/K amp more pleasing on my 7's than my Outlaw, the H/K seemingly warmer. On all my heritage I actually prefer my QSC amp. I've never heard cw III's though I would love to, I own cw's.

QSC is a pro amp like Crown. Lots of power and much less expensive than your typical HT amp. The down side is that most have loud fans (which can be changed or modded) and use pro style XLR connectors. Pro amps are becoming popular due to their exceptional dollar/watt ratio. Most purists turn their noses up at the idea of using pro amps, but I like mine.

I have B&K 220monos and had an Anthem MCA20. I prefer the B&K's to the Anthem MCA20. I haven't heard Anthem's Statement line, but it would be a step up from their MCA line. I wouldn't think you could go wrong with B&K Reference amps or Sunfire. Either should be overkill for Heritage.

QSC is a pro amp like Crown. Lots of power and much less expensive than your typical HT amp. The down side is that most have loud fans (which can be changed or modded) and use pro style XLR connectors. Pro amps are becoming popular due to their exceptional dollar/watt ratio. Most purists turn their noses up at the idea of using pro amps, but I like mine.

I noticed that you are using an Athem D2. I heard and looked at one of those today.....Sweet!!!!

Pyro, in the case you are shopping for B&K gear, I have a post in the garage sale forum for a B&K Ref 50 pre/pro plus a B&K stereo amp at 225 watts per channel. clicky

Shameless plug I know, but its worth a shot.

Shameless........What were you thinking. LOL! Pre/pro Amp will be my last purchase. As for the stereo amp, I will keep that in mind.

I haven't decided on B & K or Sunfire. I sure did like the Anthem and Lexicon amps I heard today. As for sunfire I remember the old carver amps kicking A**.