Good Music Thread

Spongeworthy

OK, the idea here is to recommend a good band or album that maybe not everyone has heard of. I've found a few new great bands, so I'll start.

'Band of Horses' is a great indie rock band. Guitar-driven rock with country/southern rock influences. Great songwriting and spacy vocals. I saw these guys on Letterman and liked them alot, so I bought 'Everything All the Time' and it has not left my rotation. I also went to see them in Charleston, SC and it was a great, great show. I would describe thes guys as a combo of Neil Young, My Morning Jacket, and Built to Spill.

Check out videos. Click the link and click 'Media' on the top of the page.

http://www.bandofhorses.com

Enjoy.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spongeworthy I've been trying this thing forever man but most here are content with their Steve Miller and Supertramp. I had this album on my top list for 2007 as well as a few other music threads. I think I even included direct links to music clips and all. Even the "better known band" Built To Spill is simply too underground for all but the most adventurous here. I've ranted and raved about Built To Spill for YEARS here and I'm sure no one has ever even bothered to listen to much less buy anything from them. They just don't know what they're missing. I'll suggest Keep It Like A Secret by Built To Spill and In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Synthfreek, that is unfortunate that there hasn't been more response but if I get turned on to a handful of good bands, I'll be happy. I love Built to Spill and have their entire discography but will definitely check out The Aeroplane Over the Sea.

Austin is a cool city, btw. Great music scene for sure.

I'll suggest Wilco's "Blue Sky Blue". The songs are really good and have some depth to them without going overboard. Vintage tones are the basis of the recording. There's a wealth of really nice guitar tones and the lead player does some tasty stuff that is a nice complement to Jeff Tweedy's voice. The vinyl sounds great and they give you a free CD with it, too.

My buddy that hipped me to this record is worth checking out as well. www.deetuned.com is her home page and there's a link on that page to her myspace site that has a few tracks to listen to.

I'll check out the bands you guys mentioned when I'm on a faster connection.

i second the motion on band of horses (or 3rd, or 4th, or 5th, or whereever i land in line[:|] ) and i will throw out a couple more names

ryan adams, buy any album they are worth it great storytelling and some nice acoustic things happening

iron and wine another very good band

sufjan stevens, check out the album michigan

i hope we can keep this thread going, i like ideas for new music i met a fella a few weeks ago that has brought me up to snuff on alot of this stuff and it is all in my rotation, built to spill and wilco are on my short list of need to get

Joe

i second the motion on band of horses (or 3rd, or 4th, or 5th, or whereever i land in lineIndifferent ) and i will throw out a couple more names

ryan adams, buy any album they are worth it great storytelling and some nice acoustic things happening

iron and wine another very good band

sufjan stevens, check out the album michigan

i hope we can keep this thread going, i like ideas for new music i met a fella a few weeks ago that has brought me up to snuff on alot of this stuff and it is all in my rotation, built to spill and wilco are on my short list of need to get

Joe

Thanks for the recommendations Joe. I like Sufjan Stevens alot - especially the Illinois album. I'll definitely check out Iron and Wine.

im glad you liked the reccomendations, im sure you will at least appreciate iron and wine

hate to say this but im with ben, for the life of me i cant figure out why some on this forum find it necessary to stick there 2 cents in attempting to police the forum, and they have absolutely no substance to add to the thread discusion, i can accept that there may be another place to post a thread, but when several members routinely hang out in one area of the forum and feel the need to discuss vinyl/music ( or whatever ) in that area because they know many of there friends hang out there as well.......... can someone tell me what they are hurting ?????????????i mean if you dont like what they post in a certain area of the forum simply dont look go on about your day and look at those things that do interest you !!!!!!!!!!!!!! im quite sure if you take a serious look at your life situation you will find plenty to do, and you will find plenty of things you do that many disagree with, and you certainly wouldnt want just anyone telling you what and where you can do it..................

just my 2 cents

im with ben signing off "CLICK" [N]

Joe

I agree, thanks Amy!

I'll throw out a couple other of my favorites over the past year:

Spoon - possibly the most underrated rock band out there

'Ga Ga Ga Ga' and 'Girls Can Tell'

Moe. - silly good guitar work, jam band without the 'noodling' that drives me nuts with others. tight live band. will be seeing them for a couple nights in Charlotte, NC in April and can't wait

'The Conch'

More to come.

Sponge-you are really raising the bar here. You are making me have to think about this.

How about the Black Angels?

I saw the Buffalo Killers live and liked them, but have not bought anything yet.

Like it a little heavier? Try The Sword. You will not be disapointed.

How about some rock Flamenco style? Try Rodrigo y Gabriella. You won't believe it's two people on acoustic guitars. The do a great version of Metallica's Orion and I like their original stuff too.

She's got a filthy mouth too, but in a good way.

That statement on its own sold me. I also picked up Iron and Wine 'The Shepherd's Dog' upon Joe's recommendation and 'In The Aeroplane Over The Sea' by Neutral Milk Hotel from the esteemed synthfreek.

I'll give my thoughts on all of the new stuff. Thanks for the ideas.

Let me know on those purchases. I found an Iron and Wine live concert podcast on itunes(for free) that I have yet to listen too. I am now looking forward to it more based on this thread.

If you are on itunes they have a good number of live music podcasts for free. A ton of indie stuff. Just do a live music search. In particular, NPR has some good stuff.

My new fav is Chuck Prophet. His new one "Soap and Water" and previous "Age of Miracles" are very solid. Guitar driven rock with a (little) country twang on some songs and more modern arrangements on others. Amusing, sly lyrics throughout.

Caught him last night at a small bar in San Francisco. A master of the Telecaster, he burned the house DOWN!

Darrell