Greetings from Iceland

germerikan

Cool pics !!!! Thanks

A couple of points of interest.

The heating in Iceland is 100% Geo-Thermal, including hot water (thought it was only 85 but was wrong). That is why the water smells a little like sulfur. It is direct out of the ground 90 deg Celcius and cooled down to 60 to pipe directly into the house. All elt. is made from steam so heating and elt are very cheap here. There are also no hot water heaters!!!

They are Iclandic Horses, just a little smaller. [:D] My host set me straight on this one.

Last night it snowed 25 to 30 cm. I woke up and like wow. I will trey to post a pic this evening. This is my last day and I will be flying tomorrow morning at 8:00, this means wake up at 3:00 and hope busses are running. A guy that came with me left today and had to wait 4 hours in the plane until it was safe enough to fly. He was a little agravated.

More tidbits later!!!

Ran

That looks like site 42 on the East coast of Iceland. Those antennas are Troposhperic quad diversity FRC-39 AV systems with 50KW transmitters which were used as the Air Force land based communication systems. (Two transmitters one polarized vertical, one horizontal with each a different frequency, 4 receivers two vertical , two horizontal with parametric amplifier front ends noise figure of 1.8 db) The antennas were 120 ft billboards with a gain of 36 db at about 900 mghz and placed 100 ft apart with one 50ft ahead of the other for space diversity. The West connecting site was Dye Five and the other was the Falklin Islands approximately 400 miles between each site part of the NARS comm system, Dye Five being the end of the DEWEAST system. Dial up NARS on Google and you will connect to a website of past workers. I was at site 42 for about 4 months doing a rebuild on all of the Comm equipment. I was also at Dye Four for about 10 years in Greenland, since has been removed. The sub detection station was at Dye Five Keflavick and was guarded by double concertina wire and German Shepard dogs. There was a gravel airstrip there which was a real panic to land on as I recall. The gulf stream kept things nice and warm also.

JJK

Well its 20:49 here and I am getting ready to hit the sack, have to be up at 04:00 tomorrow to catch the plane. It was a nice visit and I would like to come again when I have more time the people are great and country breathtaking.

I am looking forward to coming back here. This supprised us this morning hope I get out tomorrow.

post-26058-1381936060901_thumb.jpg