Greetings from Iceland

germerikan

Hello everybody,

I´m on a business trip to Iceland and I thought I would drop a line and shout out a hello. I looked in the dealer locator but unfortunatly no dealer here.[:(] The weather is about -3 with snow. Nice people with interesting traditions. Today a lot of people came into the office dressed up in costumes, kind of like our halloween. The kids even got a day off and went around to sing for sweets.

Unfortunately I won´t have the time to see the horses or go to the blue lagoons, mabie next time!!!

Ran

Sigur Ros have a DVD called Heima, a documentary of a number of concerts they did in several local venues and at least one grassy field in Iceland. They had just completed a world tour and wanted to give the folks at home a look at what had made them famous, so they did a low-key tour of their own country.

The video shows lots of the Icelandic landscape and people and it's a really beautiful place.

Hi to all and thanks for the replys.

I just went to dinner with the coustomer and believe it or not had one of the best steaks since I left the good old US of A. They were home grown, beef and lamb are big here.

Iceland is a very interesting country, 1% unemployment and very very nice people. They say the weather is somewhat crazy this winter, while we were at dinner it started snowing and within 2 hours we got about 3 inches, nice and fluffy snow. Not at all that cold at the moment about 2 deg.

I do wish I could have seen the gysirs and lagoons. Just about all of the water here has a sulfery (if that is a word) smell to it. The coustomer said next visit they will organize a day trip. My hotel is in Reykjavik one of the larger citys and about an hour away from the lagoons. I asked a coustomer what one could do evenings and he said "Stay until friday evening and you can join about 25000 people getting drunk."[:o]

dkp = I live in Hannover, that is about 2 to 3 hours away from Eisleben, A2 east to A14 south, we are north west from them.

D Dee = yep unfortunately I just about always have to much to do, 10 to 12 hours a day is normal. After that the hotel is looking good!!

OB = I do get around a lot, my area of operation is Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and now Iceland. I have also been to Spain, Italy, France, Belgien Netherlands and Austria on business trips. All 2 to 5 days but have not seen much of the countrys only rooms and equipment!!

Islander = Sigur Ros is a cool group and of course the Islanders are proud of them. It is a beautiful place the contrasts are breathtaking.

I talked to Joi (the coustomer) and said I gave a shout out to the forum I am on and asked "Do you know Klipsch?" His answer " Oh the Klipschhorn great speaker." go figure. It was cool to know that even in Iceland they know them. Nothing of the modern ones though.

Ran

Ummm Jagerschnitzels with mushroom gravy, Warsteiner beer and the Autobahn. I miss Germany! Vas es Los in Iceland?

OOPS sorry I forgot to say hi. Jagerschnitzel and Autobahn I agree but Warsteiner is the PBR of Germany[:|][;)]

I remember visiting my mother about 5 years ago and my brother wanted to "try to out drink" the big brother, unfortunately his poison of choice was beer. If you do not get a nice private beer and get off the rack Budwiser (Over here it is just called Bud because of Budwar) you could just as well drink icetee. After a case my wife asked me if we could change to something stronger, this beer was just making her pee alot.

Ran

I wonder if Rekjavik has all the Geo-thermal heating completed and how it is holding up? Nice roads, nice houses, nice country on the East coast.

JJK

I think they said that about 85% is Geo-thermal heating. A booming business here (about 30%) is aluminimum, they use 0 fosil fuels only geo-thermal or water power. Mucho cool

Ran

Cool town, although I must admit it's been almost 4o years since I was there. Back in the Day Icelandic Airlines had astudent fare $200 round trip to Europe but you had to go through Iceland and landed in Luxembourg. Cool thing was, you had to stop over in Iceland and you stay as long as you wanted before moving on.

Primzry drink is hard liquor. This may have changed but this came about because of taxes on beer.

Speaking of beer, I seem to recall Hanover came up with the first light beer about 500 years ago.

Speaking of beer, I seem to recall Hanover came up with the first light beer about 500 years ago.

Around 1520 or so Hannover started brewing (Gilde Brauerei) an "obergäriges helles Bier" top fermented light beer, but this is actually translated wrong. A helles Bier is simply filtered after fermentation to get a clear beer. When it is not filtered it is Natur Trub (Natrualy cloudy), like the bier in my avatar. Then ther are still yeast particals. In Germany at that time the Deutsche reinheits gebot for Bier (Purity promise for brewing beer) was in effect, and anyone who knows the Germans know how anal they can be with their bier. The Gilde Brauerei is still going strong but not the best bier I must say. The bier in my Avatar is very tasty though, small private bier that you can only buy in Hannover either in these 5 liter bottles or kegs directly from the brewer. www.brauhaus.net

We Americans "invented" the light beer wich is actually a Malt liquor (sp?) in the 70´s, nothing to do with "real beer".

Iceland would be a wonderful layover if you had the time to see everything, so much to see!!

Ran

I did a year remote on a US Air Force radar base in Iceland back in 1986. I was not lucky enough to be near the capitol but remote, I mean realy remote(see pic, found this one online). There were about 100 of us on the base on a small penisula.

The town of Hofn was about 10-15 miles away but we could only go into town 2-3 times a week on the shuttle and go to the restaurants, shops, etc. Night life was off limits to us due to the fact that fishing is the main industry and alot of the men were on fishing boats and did not want GIs messing around with their women.[:P]

Very beautiful country!! Some day going to make it back but in July or Aug when there is 20 hours of sunlight and about 60-65 in the day.

I'll post some of my pics.

post-13699-138193605463_thumb.jpg