Arkansas Tornadoes

Johnlw7

I feel blessed to be alive today.The little town of Gassville,Arkansas was almost leveled last night.I was about 5 miles away and saw the funnel drop.

A few miles to the east and Mountain Home would have been leveled.Took off work today will do some volunteer work throught rest of week.

We sometimes spend too much time accumilating material goods that can be taken away.

My girlfriends parents live between Hardy and Salem but they made it ok with just some down trees. Her brother lives in Mountain Home but the reported minimal proprerty damage. When the storm blew through it was raining exactly sideways and I was in a building with nothing but glass. I was abit paranoid but that was a very fast moving storm. The wind ripped the rain guards off of my truck and took most of my roof tiles over my porch.

My dad lives in Flippin and suffered no damage, but he went to Gassville to survey the damage. He told me the town is about all gone. He took some pictures and e-mailed them to me. It's just unbelievable. He heard there was one death in Gassville. I pray for all of the people in that town, and wish them a speedy recovery.

We had a freak tornado here in Northern IL last month. It started about 2 miles NE of my home and continued on a 15 mile path that took out several homes and a local landmark apple orchard. There were only a few injuries and fortunately no deaths. It passed within 1/4 mile of my Grandparents home.

This has really been a bizarre winter for weather.

Jeremy

Was that an F4 tornado? That was a terrible storm but it always is when the temp goes from 70 and humid to 30 within such a short period of time. Glad it wasn't worse. Some say it sounds like a train but I think it sounds and feels more like a giant vaccum.

Was that an F4 tornado? That was a terrible storm but it always is when the temp goes from 70 and humid to 30 within such a short period of time. Glad it wasn't worse. Some say it sounds like a train but I think it sounds and feels more like a giant vaccum.

That's what one of the students at that college said, felt like she was about to be sucked out of the door she was clinging to. Had to have been scary.

Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes.The support and generosity of the people is truly amazing.
It is tragic only two people died in this Tornado,but a miracle also.Letty"S mexican restaurant collapsed with workers andc customers in it.Now it's time to make sure the insurance compaines due the right thing and give these good people the money they deserve.We will be watching them closely.

Seti,

I don't know if the weather service has determined the strength of the storm yet as to whether it was an F4. One thing about this one (I think this was one of the Arkansas storms, but perhaps TN) it had an unusually long storm track of 130 something miles. Usually a tornado will go on the ground pull up and go back on the ground, but to have a funnel on the ground that far is rare and is among the top 3 or 5 recorded tornado tracks. It's been quite a few years since there was one like that.