BEC Forte II crossovers - I'm halfway there!

wuzzzer

I wired up one of the new crossovers that I bought from Bob Crites for my Forte II speakers. The first one took a while to install, probably a good hour and a half. I went slow and made sure I didn't mess anything up. It seems that I have a major tendency to really louse things up when it comes to reparing/modifying/etc. I'm sure the second crossover won't take nearly as long to install, but I'm headed off to bed and I'll install #2 tomorrow.

I did put a CD in that I was familiar with and am currently playing it, albeit very quietly since my wife is sleeping and I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate being blasted out of bed with loud rock music at 1:30am. Its hard to an an A/B comparison with both speakers playing at the same time and at low volume, but I do like what I'm hearing so far. I can't wait until tomorrow and I can have them both in!

wuzzer, I'm sorta' klutzy myself, but I got mine in, the second one is quicker to do .... screws were a tad short, instead of running into town, I countersank them abit, woked well .............. You be smilin' from ear to ear .. the best Bang for the Buck you could spend ... Enjoy !!!!!!!!!

Just finished! The second one definitely took much less time than the first. No damaged woofers, no blown amps (yet [;)])

I'm listening to a CD by a local band, Martin Zellar, that I've listened to dozens of times and am very familiar with. I disabled my sub for now to hear just the Fortes and I must say, the bass is a lot tighter and more noticeable. Man, everything sounds so smooth it is amazing. The midrange sounds a lot more realistic, midrange drums have a lot more 'thwap'.

Off to do some more listening...

Sorry Colter, everythings already buttoned up. I did do a little listen last night and the speaker that had the original crossover sounded very slightly quieter. The speaker with the upgraded crossover had sound that seemed to come from a wider area around the speaker than the one with the original.

The Forte II crossovers are pretty much plug-n-play as well. The original wires to the crossover that connect to the input terminals are soldered to two metal pieces that are screwed to the back of the input terminals. All I did was remove the metal pieces and attach new wires from the input terminals to the new input section of the crossover. Like I said in my original post, the first one did take a while to install because I wanted to do it right and not mess anything up. There was absolutely 0 soldering involved

PLEASE conduct a good, mono, same acoustic space A/B comparison before you modify the second speaker.

Hey Michael -- doing an A/B in the same acoustic space is kind of tough, and the problem with mono is that, well it's mono -- it's kind of nice to have all the highs there when you're doing a comparison.:) And really, once you modify one speaker, you aren't likely to not do the other unless it sounds flat out terrible (not likely). The crossover guys don't agree on a lot of things, but we all agree that the old mylars weren't that great to begin with, and presently most measure pretty bad. I did Rick Flynns' Chorus' on site at Audiokarma a couple of years ago, and even with all the noise and confusion, it wasn't that difficult to hear the difference.

I have a pair of the original Fortes with the square terminal cups, I tried to take the cups out to take a look but no luck. It looks like there may be 2 screws holding the circuit board in place, am I correct that the 2 screws need to be removed to pull everything out?

Phill

It is MUCH easier to remove the rear drone FIRST, so you can look inside and see what you are doing. Lie the speaker face to the floor and remove the drone screws. There is a gasket that may stick a little, but the drone should pop right out (tipping the speaker back upright). The wiring keeps you from removing the terminal block/crossover PC broad (or at least there is very little play).