Car sub's for Home audio??

matthew2

I did a few years ago.

I did buy R.Fosgate and JBL woofers(12 and 15")and used them in home made cabinets(3/4" thick walls and braced thru anmd thru cabinets).

These were often larhe and heavy,I was into subwoofer towers a la Infinity and Genesis.I discovered then I had to use powerful amps and started the amp swaping to find a great sub amp.Ended with used Bryston amps.

This worked great,but I did never finish my cabinets and sold the four cabinets with drivers I had.It was fun,the room was shaking and the bass was unreal.Cabinet size was too damn large.I had then in a 9 * 12 room back then! LOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I'm curious how they compare to the "great" home audio sub drivers. For example how the new JL Audio W7 would compare to the driver in the SVS SS sub. I must admit, the W7 looks incredible. Honestly most car subs look more "highly" engineered than do home audio subs, of course this may just be aesthetics since the backs of car subs are often shown off instead of hidden in an opaque enclosure as are home subs. Of course sound is the most important. Some of the greatest drivers (e.g. ScanSpeak) have rear structures that are nothing to behold, but they sound incredble. I would love to hear a showdown of some of the best car subs vs. the best home subs in comparable enclusures.

Actually. Car subs are used in home subwoofers. There is really no difference. For instance take Earthquake sound, they took their nice Magma Drivers with huge Xmax of 18mm and placed it with a passive radiator in a home sub. I don't think a car sub that has low excursion would work well at home since you need to move alot more air in a home.

------------------

http://www.autodirectsave.com

I was a car audio nut way before home audio came into play. I think most top end car subs would hang with or surpass the home subs in home use.

Car subs are built much much more durable due to the fact they have to deal with a more harsh envronment (sun, hot, old extremes). And most of the time hanlde way more power.

Anyways if you are looking to do this check into the Phoenix Gold Xmax 15 or the JL15W7. Use 1 inch MDF for enclosure. Tune port around 30 - 33 hz PVC with flared endcaps works well.

Find a high powered two channel amp that will handle 4 ohms, or 2 ohms if possible (5ooW per channel)

Granted the enclosures may be large and extremely heavy, but so are the Klipschorns. But F the footprint... if you want to have bass in your back pocket you'll make room.

I haven't heard the SVS Ultras, but I'd bet that the Xmax 15 or the 15W7 would step on that small footprint like a t-rex in jurassic park.

just some spec on that W7:

Actually 13.7 inches in diameter

1000W power handling

3.5 inch excursion peak to peak (now that is moving some air)

I also remember a funny looking speaker(not actually) from Phoenix Gold. I think it was called the Cyclone. It was a like a bucket with two fins inside that rotated with the help of a motor structure. It looked nothing like a conventional speaker. It's hard to describe here, if you are interested try searching for it. It is no longer in production though. But it claimed massive excursion.

tgourlie, thanks for the info

1.What do you think about the R.Fosgate 12" HX2 subs?

2. How do you tune ports to a certin freq'?

3. Why would you use a 2ch amp. "Bridging"? (how do you do that?) Why would you need so much power?

Thanks for any advice,

------------------

Matthew

Gatta' love klipsch

when I was refering to a two channel amp, I was suggesting possible using two subs like the SVS ultra. And that configuration is pretty much unmatched in that price range (ok Velodyne is pretty goodcwm32.gif). Just an idea if you want to go that way. Using one sub and a mono block would also be good.

I have nothing but good things to say about RF through my experiences. I still have my original RF power 6.5's and my RF punch 5.25's in my front door pannels along with an RF tweet, all powered by a RF punch 60ix amp. I still love them. ALthough a while back I believe I heard that they are now manufactured in the US and their amps aren't built as soild anymore, but that is just what I had heard, I have not experienced any of it. And although I am not familiar off hand with the HX2 subs, I'm sure they pound. Do some research on the model. Check for excursion, power handling, sensitivity, etc.

As far as the box building go here

http://www.blaupunktusa.com/install/install_index.html

this is a great program for building and tuning certain box types etc. All you would need is the Thiel Small parameters that should come along with the sub. I mess with this program all of the time and try to find realistic sub and box combinations that would give me the highest SPL and like 20hz. It passes the time.

I suppose you really don't need all of that power, but most car subs can handle it.

This message has been edited by tgourlie on 01-15-2002 at 06:24 PM

may be too late but if they don't cost too much check out Digital Designs Subwoofers. They are a rather new company I believe. I heard them this summer. UNREAL. 4 15's took the world record for db drag racing at 174.6db!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And ONE 15 hit 170. Granted these are measured in a car with 4,400 - 16,000 watts running themcwm35.gif but that is still LOUD!!!!!!

I seen one guy in Fond du Lac Wisconsin shatter his reat window with one 12. DD