Cleaning receiver controls

rocket-andy

I got my old 1980's model Yamaha receiver out recently and gave it a listen. The first thing I noticed were that the volume, balance, etc. controls need a good cleaning - there is a lot of static and sound cutting in and out when they are rotated. Could someone recommend a good product to use for cleaning these? I assume that all you do is remove the cover of the receiver and give the controls a good shot of some aerosol cleaner - correct?

I've used the Caig Labs products for 30+ years and have never been disappointed with the results.

Old rotary pots can be resurrected provided the conductive plastic or carbon resistive element isn't worn out. The key is to remove oxidation with the red Deoxit and then to use as little of the blue shield as possible.

Parts Express carries most of the Caig Labs product line. The "Technician's Survival Kit at $30.00 is a good starter kit.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=341-246

http://www.caig.com/

Lee

If you take the knobs off usually you can get some cleaner into the pot via the shaft.

Another thing, turning the pots back and forth many times is a key part of the cleanup. In fact, vigorous twisting of the shaft will improve the scratchiness even without the cleaner.

You can also remove the cover(s) to access the pots". A good shot of 'cleaner' (use an electrical circuit board cleaner type that will not affect the switch mechanism), then the deoxit solutions. One key as Dee points out is to rotate the switches back and forth (at least 30 times or so) while cleaning, de-ox'ng and lubricating. I'm not sure, but the Yamaha's may have silver contacts instead of the cheaper carbon/plastic. If so, that is a very good thing as the cleaning process will not cause the contact surfaces to deteriorate or come apart.

I recommend DeOxit as well (thanks Craig and everyone else)...I had picked up a Nakamichi receiver for my garage off ebay...a short time after I got it...it started sounding fuzzy and just started to "fall apart" soundwise...I suspect the reason for the ebay sale...I tried a "bargain" cleaner...worked for several minutes and then back to the raspy scratchy sound...my intention was to pass it along to one of you types who repair these as I didn't have THAT much cash into it and I was told many expensive things needed to be done to it to get it to work (not here but elsewhere...karma I guess [;)]...Craig at NOSValves (and others) kept telling me to try Caig's DeOxit as it was something special...I finally figured "Why not?"

Gave the pots a squirt and did exactly what I tried several time before without success...THIS time...it worked (I suspect the added lube in Caig's recipe') and has so for a couple of years!...Ancient Chinese Secret?...Some Hotshot...HERE's his Ancient Chinese Secret...Caig's DeOxit!

Bill