Phono Pre-Amp Kit

bluesboy

Has anybody out there had any experience with Hagerman Technology phono pre-amp kits? I got a Bugle kit in the mail today. It looks like it might be a bit of a challenge to build. My soldering experience is limited to point to point wiring on crossovers. I've never done any circuit board soldering. Any suggestions?

Has anybody out there had any experience with Hagerman Technology phono pre-amp kits? I got a Bugle kit in the mail today. It looks like it might be a bit of a challenge to build. My soldering experience is limited to point to point wiring on crossovers. I've never done any circuit board soldering. Any suggestions?

Funny you bring this up. I bought one from a guy at A-gon for $50. I soldered it today with with bad results. Can't get a signal through it. I'm wondering if it's a bad switch. I bought it to practice my skills. All the connections are good so I'm at a loss.

It really is an easy kit if you have a good iron and a little experience.

Well I would but I am real busy deciding what equipment I will put in the new music room in my new house once I win the powerball drawing tonight. Thinking about those Ayre MX-R mono blocks machined out of 75 pound blocks of aluminum pushing a top of the line AR tubed preamp powering my three Jubilees. Stuck on the TT but thinking a VPI TNT with a Clearaudio Goldfinger might be nice.

can you scan the assembly pages and post.....hard to weight in on it with out looking it over...I've done some complex circut board stuff over the years and can give some comments once I see the lay out.

nu2tubes,

Let me mess around with it for a while. Maybe I can figure out were you went wrong. One thing Hagerman mentions is the use of an ohm meter to test the resistors because the color coding can be confusing.

I don't have a meter, but I have a magnifieng glass and reading glasses for these old eyes[:D] I put it on the shelf for now. Going to look at it next week. I thought there might be a bad solder joint and I rechecked all of them , they all seem good.

Are you saying the resistors don't come with a label or ID tag? Just lumped into a bag?

Yeah, they were lumped in the bag. Hagerman does include a pretty thorough compoment table with a detailed explanation of what each of the color bands mean on the resistor. I just got my ket done a little while ago. I've got it soaking in alcohol for a half an hour which Hagerman recommends to clean up the circuit board. I'm going to let it dry overnight and try it out tomorrow. I might even post a couple of pictures.

Here's some pictures of the assembled kit. Turns out it wasn't that hard of a project after all. I guess it took around three hours or so. I was tring to solder and watch the car race at the same time. I could do it a lot faster the second time around. As for performace so far so good. I've got the pre-amp hooked up between a Micro-Seiki DD-40 TT with a Grado Reference Master cartridge and my funny looking Kailin tube amp. So far the set up sounds as good or better than any turntable- pre-amp combo I've tried in my system. Not bad for $62.50 shipped.

post-15074-13819361006066_thumb.jpg