What center speaker to get for KG5.5's in front with KG1.5 surrounds??

rbfactor

I currently have a KV2 center speaker but it seems hard to understand dialogue while watching DVD's. I am starting to think that the KV2 just isn't enough speaker for my set-up. Any opinions on the KV2 and/or suggestions for a better center speaker?? Perhaps a KV3 (I've seen a few on Craigslist). I am using a Denon 2802 receiver.

Many thanks!

I currently have a KV2 center speaker but it seems hard to understand dialogue while watching DVD's. I am starting to think that the KV2 just isn't enough speaker for my set-up. Any opinions on the KV2 and/or suggestions for a better center speaker?? Perhaps a KV3 (I've seen a few on Craigslist). I am using a Denon 2802 receiver.

Many thanks!

Are you sure that your speaker level settings on your receiver are correct? The way to set such levels with accuracy is to use a sound pressure level (SPL) meter, about $40 at Radio Shack, which will show the relative volume settings of each speaker. Your receiver should have, under some setup menu, options for setting the levels using a built in pink noise generator (produces a SSSSHHHHH tone in each speaker individually in sequence). You want each speaker to produce the same output level of that tone. Perhaps your center is just not set high enough (or it may require setting the L and R speakers lower, to match the center). My apologies if you have already done this.

KLF-C7. Is big, plays big. Note horn in C-7. Note horn in other smaller center speakers. Think wide dispersion.

I used a KV-2 for years with KG5.5's. Got a C-7 and was much happier, still not completely happy. While the KV speakers might be a little lacking the C-7 is overkill. If the adjustments Richard suggested isn't enough you might try a C-7. To me the cost isn't worth it. The KV's were the centers designed for the KG towers you know?

Keith

I have adjusted the center channel level but the KV-2 always sounds somewhat muffled. I think the horn may be the problem, which means the KV-3 wouldn't be much of an improvement (since it uses the same tweeter). I would like to upgrade but can't justify the huge cost of something at the C-7 level.

RB

The KV series center(s) were NOT designed to go with the X.5 series, that is what the KG 2.5V is for just as the KG 2.2V wsa designed to work with the X.2 series speakers.

The KV line was developed for the CF (1,2,3 & 4) Epic line.

A KLF-C7 won't timbre match at all with the X.5 series.

Stop spreading misinformation. They won't sound bad they just won't match the timbre' of the mains.

The KV series center(s) were NOT designed to go with the X.5 series, that is what the KG 2.5V is for just as the KG 2.2V wsa designed to work with the X.2 series speakers.

The KV line was developed for the CF (1,2,3 & 4) Epic line.

A KLF-C7 won't timbre match at all with the X.5 series.

Stop spreading misinformation. They won't sound bad they just won't match the timbre' of the mains.

Well, smart guy, when I bought my KG5.5's in 1994 the only available center channel speaker, as such, for KG floorstanders/bookshelves was the KV line. All the KG line speakers, down to the KG .5 were designated in Klipsch literature printed at that time as for use as front or surround speakers. Check your Klipsch KG literature, I just did. You may also want ot reference this http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/kv-2.aspx .

The KV-4 was actually the correct center for the 'Controlled Focus' series http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/kv-4.aspx although the Epic literature doesn't even mention a dedicated center channel speaker. I just checked my Epic literature too.

There is no Klipsch speaker that will perfectly timbre match KG5.5's for center channel duty. I tried them all. I offered my suggestions based on experience with all mentioned speakers. Again, I would use a KV-2/KV-3 or buy other speakers.

Keith

"There is no Klipsch speaker that will perfectly timbre match KG5.5's for center channel duty. I tried them all. I offered my suggestions based on experience with all mentioned speakers. Again, I would use a KV-2/KV-3 or buy other speakers."

Sure there is another the KG 5.5 is the perfect match!

The user manual/brochure I had for the KV-4 also listed the KV-1, 2, and 3 in it. The KG 2.5V was most certainly the correct center speaker for the X.5 series. The website is not correct. Just because your dealer did not have it or it was not in the brochure at the time doesn't mean it wasn't available. I suppose you are going to tell me that the KG 2.5V were designed to be a bookshelf speaker and not a center. I suppose the bucking magnets attached to the woofers on them to minimize EMI were put there to weight the speaker down to keep them on shelves or stands.

I don't care what you use honestly but I can assure you that the KG 2.5V will outperform the KV-2 or KV-3 and match better with the X.5 series speakers unless you get a speaker identical to your mains which would be optimum.

It seems about three weeks ago someone else was asking the same thing, and I suggested using any of the smaller KG x.5 models (2.5, 3.5, 4.5), turned on their side. The 2.5V is the only video-shielded model, obviously designed as a center, and is horizontally symmetrical (2 woofers on either side of the tweeter). But unless you have a CRT type TV, the lack of shielding in those other models won't affect the TV. Depending on the exact placement, they might not even affect a CRT TV. You can also install the bucking magnets on the woofer of the nonshielded models fairly easily. The only problem is that you don't see the KG x.5 series for sale on Ebay and other usual sites as often as the KG x.2 series. Depending on your budget, I might even try any model from the x.2 series, as most can be had for less than $200/pr.

The small exponential horn is basically useless for center unless you and everyone else sits almost exactly on center. You can move either left or right of center by just a couple of feet and easily witness the ouput taper off, shielded or not. Try it.

Keith