SO WHATS BETTER.OPPO OR HD-DVD?

iwillwalk

HD-DVD players are incredibly good upscaling players. I've owned an oppo 980 and 981 and my Toshida HD-A2 has a much better picture than either of them. I would endorse the purchase of an HD-DVD player for someone who is simply looking for a good upscaling player - even if they never play an HD-DVD movie on it.

+1 to what wuzzer said. I have seen the Oppos as well, and my HD-A2 is a noticable step up on the quality scale. I will be keeping this deck and using it as an upscaler for quite some time.

One alternative to using a DVD player as a scaler or upconverter: Some AV Receivers such as various Pioneer Elite models actually upconvert all incoming video input sources to the a much improved level and then send that to the video outputs for your screen. Two particular models, the Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH & VSX-92TXH both contain built-in, well-respected Faroujda video scalers, thereby making them pretty hard to beat for the price in my opinon.

Regarding Blu-Ray: My Sony BDP-S300 Blu-Ray was on sale for $299 over Christmas (and included 5 free Blu-Ray Movies) and it does a stellar job of up-conversion on standard DVDs.

Beware, however: The Sony BDP-S300 WILL NOT PLAY HOME-BURNED, SINGLE OR DUAL LAYER STANDARD DVDs! I'm speaking of the DVD+/-R discs. Note: My player has been update the the latest firmware release, version 3.70 12/20/2007. It does play all of the store-bought standard definition DVDs in my collection without any problem.

I am not aware if other models or brands of Blu-Ray or HD-DVD players also refuse to play these. So, I still need a Standard DVD player in my rack to handle my home-produced DVDs, and I have a lot of them because I produce my own movies/videos. Now that Toshiba has officially thrown in the towel, I am more seriously considering a Blu-Ray burner for my production workstation PC. -Glenn

If you want to up-convert. Take a look at using a HTPC. The picture I get from TheaterTek / ffdshow is way better than any upconverting DVD player I have seen so far. You also have a lot more options since you can easily snap in and out differnt codecs etc. You are not locked into what is hard burned into your player.

Upconverting will never be as good as having a high def source. Although, with that said, it depends on the source. I have seen some HD material that is not much if any better than the DVD version.

JM