Heresy II upgrade to III's

kg4guy

I haven't actually checked with Klipsch about it yet. My youngest is headed to Europe for an orchestra tour in May, and it's $3200. So....between that and a couple of other things going on in my life, the cash isn't there. My plans are always bigger than my wallet! [*-)]

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the kits about 2 months ago, most of the wiring related posts are related to the fact that my 87 HII cabs have the square input cup near the bottom. This had been modified in later model HII's. The only important question is :

Q: Was it worth it ?

A: Absolutely, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. For $277 a side you're getting a whole new speaker, totally worth it.

If I can get another 20 or so years out of these, I will be one happy man, now the new items on the Klipsch store...very tempting. My GF is happy with her RF/RC 52 system. only

• 3 months later...

OK. Silly (perhaps) question - why only H-II to H-III? Why not H-I to H-III? The H-I and H-II are dimensionally identical - it would seem a no-brainer that you could slap the upgrade into the H-I and get a similar result. Or is there something I'm missing?

-D

Yeh. I guess it could be done. It would take some cabinet modding and finding a K701 (I think) horn to use in the new speaker.

The deal with the new mid driver is that it is designed to mate with the K701 plastic horn. The original Heresy uses a metal K700 horn with a screw in driver. As the HIII kit reuses the 701 horn from the Hii, a new horn would be required to match the new mid driver.

It would be an interesting project to do. I'm not for sure though, that Klipsch parts would sell the upgrade kit to an original Heresy owner. I know at first they were verifying HII serial numbers to order the kit.

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

First post.

I'm buying some mint, one owner Heresy IIs with sequential serial #s. They appear to be April, 1990 builds. I'm very intersted in the Heresy II to Heresy III upgrade, but this thread is three years old. Is it still available?

Many thanks!

– Rafe