Dedicated 110v circuit for HT?

98_1LE_2

It would be cheaper to get a power conditioner for your HT.

???

If you have access to your attic or to the crawl space/basement, running Romex is easy, as is fishing the wire.

Isolating the feed from the additional loads is generally much more effective than buying a mediocre power conditioner in an attempt to clean up something that suffers from noise and surges.

A dedicated AC line is perhaps the simplest and most effective way to deal with AC noise, and a whole house surge suppressor at the entrance to the house is the most effective way to address lightning issues.

And if you want to debate this, go debate Bill Whitlock and Neil Muncy - THE absolute gurus of AC and noise and grounding - as this is also their position.

It would depend on how elaborate your system is. High power/current amplifiers could use their own circuit but something like a lower powered receiver wouldn't necessarily need one.

I ran seperate circuits for my A/V system and one for my subwoofer, both 20 amp. It actually helps in two ways: 1) Supplies more than enough current for the equipment. 2) Provides a "clean" power supply which would eliminate potential ground noise and interference from other equipment.

I'm an electrician and I own my own company so from my point of view it NEVER hurts to have dedicated circuits. I would say that if you have space in your panel it would be a good idea. I don't recommend that you do it yourself though. I'm not a doctor, so I don't perform surgery. If you are not an electrician, don't perform electrical work. People often get hurt or killed doing work they are not trained or licensed to do.

A power conditioner/surge suppressor should still be used on a seperate circuit to further protect your equipment from power surges and brown-outs. Whole house surge suppressors can be installed right at the service and are cheaper than most power conditioners although they don't protect against brown-outs (low-voltage conditions which can damage motors).

Do whatever you want with this information. I hope it helps and good luck.

Thanks, I think I will run a pair of 20-amp circuits also. One for the receiver (Denon 3808) and TV, and one for the sub (not sure yet, but probably 1300w eD).

I dont plan to do the work myself, and have a buddy that is an electrician (and dad that is a retired EE). I don't get on the roof, and I don't play with electricity.

FWIW, running the Romex is easily understood and performed by almost anyone. This is done with a conductor carrying no current! (Does this need to be stated?) But, if this is not clear, you probably shouldn't touch anything! [;)]

Tying it into the service box should be done by someone qualified.

The distinction is worthwhile to understand.

Adding a run and a circut breaker is not the same as a dedicated circut. The new breaker would still share the same phase of the inbound line. This is really a dedicated breaker.

If you want a dedicated line, you would need to add a 2:1 step down transformer at the 220 junction (both phases), and even that is still influenced by the existing loads in your main.

It would be cheaper to get a power conditioner for your HT.

???

If you have access to your attic or to the crawl space/basement, running Romex is easy, as is fishing the wire. 

Isolating the feed from the additional loads is generally  much more effective than buying a mediocre power conditioner in an attempt to clean up something that suffers from noise and surges. 

A dedicated AC line is perhaps the simplest and most effective way to deal with AC noise, and a whole house surge suppressor at the entrance to the house is the most effective way to address lightning issues.

And if you want to debate this, go debate Bill Whitlock and Neil Muncy - THE absolute gurus of AC and noise and grounding - as this is also their position. 

Wow, I guess it wouldn't be smart to debate Neil and Bill [:)]

I see you are getting alot of opinons on this topic like adding step down transformers and such but let's just get to the point: Would a seperate circuit be nice? The answer is yes. Is a seperate circuit completely necessary? The answer is no.

This debate could spew into a load of crap just like speaker wire and interconnects. We could discuss the possibilty of installing a complete isolated ground system for you to brag about to your friends, but would it be an improvement to your A/V system when compared to a seperate/dedicated circuit? No.

If you feel that you want a dedicated circuit- put one in. We aren't supplying power to NASA payroll. Why not just install a nuclear power plant in your back yard?

I see you are getting alot of opinons on this topic like adding step down transformers and such but let's just get to the point: Would a seperate circuit be nice? The answer is yes. Is a seperate circuit completely necessary? The answer is no.

This debate could spew into a load of crap just like speaker wire and interconnects. We could discuss the possibilty of installing a complete isolated ground system for you to brag about to your friends, but would it be an improvement to your A/V system when compared to a seperate/dedicated circuit? No.

If you feel that you want a dedicated circuit- put one in. We aren't supplying power to NASA payroll. Why not just install a nuclear power plant in your back yard?

??

" ...a complete isolated ground system" Ground loops aren't the problem (and this presents a greater potential for ground loops) and it offers no improvement regarding noise.

There is NOTHING exotic about a separate circuit. Sorry if that seems too exotic for you.

And utilizing conditioning simply attempts to put a bandaid on an existing problem.

"NASA" and ..."a nuclear power plant"?

Houston, with that suggestion "This debate (HAS definitely begun to) spew into a load of crap just like speaker wire and interconnects".and we have indeed entered the Twilight Zone!

And obviously a few don't have a clue as to who Bill Whitlock and Neil Muncy are, nor what their expertise is and contribution has been to the industry .

??

" ...a complete isolated ground system" Ground loops aren't the problem (and this presents a greater potential for ground loops) and it offers no improvement regarding noise.

There is NOTHING exotic about a separate circuit. Sorry if that seems too exotic for you.

And utilizing conditioning simply attempts to put a bandaid on an existing problem.

"NASA" and ..."a nuclear power plant"?

Houston, with that suggestion "This debate (HAS definitely begun to) spew into a load of crap just like speaker wire and interconnects".and we have indeed entered the Twilight Zone!

And obviously a few don't have a clue as to who Bill Whitlock and Neil Muncy are, nor what their expertise is and contribution has been to the industry .

Perhaps many don't have a clue as to Bill & Neil. Having a dedicated line supply and a nice line box,.........I still loves the way that the lights dim when I punch both of the Luxman power amp ON buttons at the same time.[;)]

tc

mas- The point I was trying to get across is not to over-think this.

Isolated ground systems are used in commercial and hospital applications where they need a grounding system that does not ground to any part of the structure steel. You would never find this in a residential application- it was meant to be sarcastic.

Ok.... but, let's not go crazy again like we did with wire, roller blocks, etc... (although it was seriously funny for a while...)

Bhenry, Mas and others are right. Some new romex, and get an electrician to wire in a new 20 amp service breaker, and add the wall wart, etc. Is it worth it? Yes if you have a friend in the business...., etc.... Cuts down on interference. More insurance? At the "wart" couple of big battery back-up conditioners (1500 VA) which you can get for $250 from APC to further protect you (clamp time is 0...) and gives you 10 minutes to shut down the system....