Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Feb. 25

thebes

Nothing much really to say this week, except like people, many musicians are often hard to pidgeonhole.

Take Bela Fleck for instance and this week's recommendation.

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, "Outbound", jazz, cd

Bela and his bandmates picked up a Grammy for this one and it's considered a jazz album. Yet as I understand it he's basically known as one of the founders and leading lights of progressive bluegrass. Go figure. Since my music filing scheme is hopelessly confused it matters not what type of music he plays. I really do like this cd. It's also recorded very well and highly recommended.

So what do you have to share this week?

Oh my, another crappy, snowy winters day, it just drags on and on, but atleast I still have power for now, so time to heat up the house ; .......

EDGAR AND JOHNNY WINTER : TOGETHER ...................... Re-Mastered Import CD ....................... 1976 ..............

After a 20 year search to find this disc under $100., I have found it, and it was worth the wait. This is what 70's music is all about, and these lads from Texas certainly know how to present it. Johnny was in his prime, and could go lick for lick with any Guitarist at the time, and throw in brother Edgar on Saxaphone, and lead vocals, step back and take this run through the music of the time.

This is like a 3 phase album, first up, R&B, Soul Music, whatever you want to call it. Harlem Shuffle, Soul Man, and You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin, now that's a triple header, GREAT,GREAT renditions of those classic songs. That is music that is near and dear to my heart, the music that made me put away that Surf music, and listen to a music that covered many cultures, from many locations, not just the Beaches and waves of the West Coast. Just a wonderful romp on their way to The Rock and Roll Medley. Before I go any further, let me explain this, there are 2 bands set-up on stage, to include the likes of Rick Derringer, and Floyd Radford to help with the Guitars, like Johnny needed any help, Randy Jo Hobbs on the Bass, longtime friend of Edgar's, Dan Hartman on piano, and last but not least, Richard Hughes, and Chuck Ruff on the drums ... WOW, what a cast of characters !!! Anyone who is a Johnny fan knows the names, these guys ruled the early 70's, appeared on many albums, with many people. You simply must hear this Medley, you know the songs ; Slippin' and Slidin' ; Jailhouse Rock ; Tutti fruiti ; Sick and Tired ; I'm Ready ; Reelin' and Rockin' ; Blue Suede Shoes ; Jenny Take A Ride: and last, but not least, Good Golly Miss Molly !!!!!!!!! ... Rock n' Roll, yeah ..... what a kick-a$$ set .... and, if that isn't enough ... how about a taste of the Blues, Winter style : Let The Good Times Roll ; Mercy,Mercy ; and the closer, Baby, Whatcha Want Me To Do !!!! A Stunning set in my opinion, just a joy for my ears. Where was the camera's when this show was being performed? This was recorded live at The Swing Auditorium, San Diego in 1975 .....

I would like to call this The BEST album ever, there is no such thing as one The BEST anything, but I will include it in my Top Ten Albums. If you are a Johnny, or Edgar fan this is a must have, an important album in their careers, and I will tell you this, This disc will put a smile on your face, it's a fun listen, and a great trip back in time when Rock and Roll was King .............. They don't make them like this anymore ....... I miss this type of energy in todays so-called Rock Music .................... Long Live the Dinosaurs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teddy Thompson is a new artist that I would say is hard to pigeon hole...his latest effort titled, "Upfront and Down Low" is a compilation of some old school country torch tunes...this guy can really sing. Great arrangements and recording quality. Highly recomended.

OB....what about "They Only Come out at Night"? Featuring Frankenstein

Edgar was good, but never in Johnny's league .....Big Brother was the real deal, but TOGETHER is a no-brainer .... The Deluxe edition of the Second Winter album has a second disc with Johnny and Edgar, and I believe the version of Frankenstein is the first time Edgar played it in public. You should check that one out ................... "Rock and Roll"

OB Frankenstein is what I trashed my first set of cheap car speakers using an 8 track. Always liked to hear it bounce between the speakers at full volumn.

I'll add my two cents this week. Santana a little salsa while I cleaned up the basement. I listened to Greatest Hits and Supernatural. Both can get your buns a moving while you do chores around the house.

I am not a huge techno fan. Take for instance Kraftwerk I can respect what they did and when they did it but it always seemed boring to me. Part of me always wanted to believe that kraftwerk was a cruel joke. I thought they lacked soul so cold sounding. Then you have a friend who says I got this great techno CD in the mail today from Czech. The first thing I do is roll my eyes and sigh. Then he puts on the CD and we skip around but really listen to about four tracks and they were amazing. This is what techno should be. The recordings are of the highest quality so clean and the instruments superb. There are a couple tracks that would challenge the bass of even the best systems. I listened to two of their CDs and found at least a couple tracks per CD that could easily get stuck in my head for a long time. Check this band out it is interesting. They are children of Kraftwerk.

MAGNETIK

Taking the inspiration from Jules Verne, Kraftwerk, Stanley Kubrick,
Karel Capek, J. A. Gagarin, Neu, A. A. Armstrong, Tangerine Dream and
other sci-fi classics, astronauts, and visionaries, Magnetik brings
fantastik-technik-musik for all the stylish freaks, krautrock lovers
and those who believes that MUSIC LOVES SCIENCE.

A couple tracks available for download.

http://www.magnetik.cz/download.asp

This scene is so early 80's.

mag14.jpg