JL Audio Fathom f113 vs. SVS PB13-Ultra

Kain

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I decided on the F113 after much research due to its smaller size and musical accuracy, but they are very close in performance. What do you listen to more, music or movies? Do you care about size? If your answer is movies and you don't care about size it probably isn't worth the extra $$$$. If the PB13 is as close to the F113 as the reviews suggest, you will be very happy either way.

Doug

Sells a life style ? That is major BS ,the Fathom performs better than any other commercial sealed sub. Quality is better than brand names I will not even name(due to the obvious).

Did you even notice not all people can acomodate a larger sub ??? Do you even consider the tests done on the Home Theater Shack forum and what real testers have to say about the "life style " Fathom ?

Sound quality both are on the same level, the SVS Ultra 13 will have more output down deep.

.........A lot of discussion on these subs over at the AVS forum that may or may not be helpful.Confused

Yes AVS and a few other forums backup and support svs subs,Many workers on there making people believe there is no other sub than SVS.[:S]To me svs subs are for people that want a big bang for their buck and want Port Farts coming from the cabinets.If you want good clean sound quality,The Fathom will play cleaner/louder and dig way deeper than the PB13 hands down !! Want some more noise,Drill a few more ports in a svs cabinet,This will give you 2-3 db more noise for a headache.What a way to extend low end response,Any highend sub will be a sealed unit, or a have a extra passive rad to extend low end ,then you have a good sub.

Paul,

With all due respect...hold it HOLD IT !

The SVS Ultra 13 has more clean output down deep than the Fathom f113. The Fathom can pound out more above 30Hz,but below the three 4" ports make up for the Ultra 13's slightly lesser driver displacement. The Fathom uses a better quality amp and is more high tech,no question. But output to price(and quality) the Ultra 13 has an edge,slight but real edge.

And I have three Fathom subs. So bias plays no role here.

Also when you say all high end are sealed...LOL HA HA HA HA please. I am into subs since many years,I have owned more than almost anyone on the net and your claim is a bit off.

A great vented system can match a sealed in sound quality,and the more you push both ...the more the vented will surpass the sealed. Simply physics...COMPRESSION inside the cabinet.

And I hope you kinow...the more the drivers's piston moves in and out the more pressure...and also the less BL have as you get away from the center. Only linear motors maintain a great BL linearity. Even then...COMPRESSION will grow as the pressure grows.

Thank you [:D]

((((http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/spe...subwoofer.html))))
i notice this review was pulled from the S&VM website... probably because JL complained that they were receiving a "bad rap" from Tom because... like with Bose they were put to the test and found lacking.
There's a new review on Sound and Vision Magazine by Tom Nousaine. It isn't very long but contains some measurements. One sentence caught my eye...

Although the F112 has relatively high low-frequency output (104 dB or greater at every frequency from 32 Hz up to the top of its range), it was not able to reproduce 25 Hz with less than 10% distortion. It can make plenty of sound at this frequency (104 dB), but with 40% distortion where the upper harmonics are approaching the amplitude of the fundamental. (compliments of the "cult" site)

Fuel for the fire.[:P]

The Fathom f113 was measured by the Home Theater Shack main tester,it performs damn well. Lets remember,compact sealed sub, there is no competition . Velodyne...forget it size for size they get crushed by JL's output,and SQ is about the same. Who else...seriously nobody.

Besting JL's very long excursion drivers and amp capabilities under these size restrictions...expensive proposition and not practical. When we remove the size constraints...a world of performance opens up.

And finally we reach IB subs... where compression is a thing of the past.

No --You did not understand what i was pointing to,I meant that a Cylindrical port adds distortion, compared to a square vent as the Ear mentioned,Vents work perfect,Round ports tend to make noise,The danley dts is a great sub .I heard it for many hours at different times,But a little large for my space. But i still did not think the dts performed like the JL.The wilson, I never heard one.

No --You did not understand what i was pointing to,I meant that a Cylindrical port adds distortion, compared to a square vent as the Ear mentioned,Vents work perfect,Round ports tend to make noise,The danley dts is a great sub .I heard it for many hours at different times,But a little large for my space. But i still did not think the dts performed like the JL.The wilson, I never heard one.

WHAT????!!!!!!!!!! Cylinder port adds distortion compared to a square vent??? Round ports tend to make noise???? The Danley takes up too much space? About the same floorspace as the gotham.

Where i was going to place the gotham it fits nicely in one of my corners,Do to many monitors surrounding my sub yes it fits where i want it,And looks better,I dont want a big tall box like the dts 20 sticking through my ceiling,Its about 80" long,Yes the dts20 is much taller than a gotham,And yes a cylinder fart port makes noise.Let alone more than one fart port.LOL

Oh ,and Jay if your lucky you might find a dealer

in your area that might let you just look at a dts 20 or gotham.

Better dress in a suit so you look better so you can fool him, then the salesman may have better interest in you for a sale.

But all you can do is read about them and drool,But enjoy your[|-)] RSW12 since you already have one.

Dress in a suit eh... I prefer to wear "everyday" clothes when I shop for audio. There is no point in pretending you have money, when in fact you do not. BTW, I have seen more people drop more money looking like they walked in off the farm than anyone in dress clothes.

FACT> just because you have a suit on does not mean anything. It means that your apperance is worth more to you than anything. In this case, never judge a book by the cover.

My "home brew" sub will best a Gotham in every concievable way, fit, finish, output and distortion. I am just an average everyday guy that happens to like building stuff. And you know what? There is always someone out there with a setup that will "best" that. Enjoy what you have, tomorrow there will be another "niche" product out there.

As far as claiming a ported subwoofer is "sub par" I think you need to reconsider that statement. There are quite a few commercial subs out now that have very low vent velocity and low port compression.

Oh ,and Jay if your lucky you might find a dealer

in your area that might let you just look at a dts 20 or gotham.

Better dress in a suit so you look better so you can fool him, then the salesman may have better interest in you for a sale.

But all you can do is read about them and drool,But enjoy yourSleep RSW12 since you already have one.

Now that is just insulting Paul and uncalled for you piece of shit. Someone is getting really hostile cause we made fun of his toy. And tell me how you believe round ports cause farting noise over square? And look I can buy a gotham... BUT I have a TCSounds LMS5400 subwoofer driver that by itself will best your gotham once I put it in a box. So how about them rounded ports?