RF-83's arrived today!

Youthman

• Moderators

I would love to have that done, probably very expensive.

I was thinking the same thing, I wonder if the light off the screen would also light up the ceiling a little and show the lighter paint of the normal look in the day. It would be nice if their was a way to diy, even if the wasn't accurate to a normal sky, just to have the general effect.

• Moderators

How are the 83's sounding, I bet they sound a little better in a couple of weeks ! I never believed in that break in thing, untill I heard it for myself. Or I just got used to the new sound ? Either way they sounded different after a few weeks.

• Moderators

How are the 83's sounding

They are ok...nothing really special...somewhat mediocre....Wait, what am I saying? They sound fabulous! [:P] Truly they are quite a remarkable pair of speakers. Definitely do not compare to any of my previous speakers (in order that I owned them - Technics, DCM, Polk, then Klipsch CF-2).

I never believed in that break in thing, untill I heard it for myself. Or I just got used to the new sound ? Either way they sounded different after a few weeks.

Funny you should mention that. I was just looking up info on breaking in on the forums to see if there was anything I needed to do. I did receive quite a bit of technical info on the proper way to do this. Crank them and enjoy them! Haha. Some believe, others think it's a myth, some feel it is your brain just getting used to it. I really don't care. I'm just going to enjoy them. If after awhile, they begin to sound even better, whoohooo! I really don't care what is the reason behind it. Just grateful and blessed to finally be able to own them.

nice buy! welcome to the rf-83 family! You will love the cherry as it ages and gets darker!

Hey Jay. I didn't realize they would get darker but that is cool because I have always liked the cherry finish or cherry color on furniture. Our cabinets and our floors in our home will be cherry wood. They look absolutely beautiful already. When I took them out of the box, I was smiling from ear to ear. [:D] They are just a sight to look at with their very tall and slender physique.

• Moderators

You have a very nice setup there.

While the 82's were great the 83's seem to just give a bigger feel to the sound.

I agree with you here. I think it has to do with the extra height. My CF-2's were short and the horn was in the middle of the speaker. With the horn being so high and three woofers aimed right at ear level, the sound seems very encompassing and much "taller" sound than my CF-2's.

The 83's also just seem to have a smoother sound to them. Now just waiting for my RC-64 to come in.

The 83's definitely have a smoothe, sweet sound to them. Almost like sliding under silk covers. I'm hoping to order my RC-64 soon. Let me know how it sounds with the 83's. Although I like my KV-3, I know it will be a huge improvement moving up to the RC-64. Be sure to post some pics of your new setup.

The RF-82's and RC-52 are being sold to an old roommate for a decent discount. He loves the sound of the speakers and figured it was a good deal to not pass up. I may also sell him the Onkyo receiver and upgrade to either a NAD or Anthem pre-pro, but not sure yet. This upgrade bug is bad, but good at the same time.

My current living situation does not allow for good placement of rear speakers. I may be moving in a year or so and then plan to revisit the idea of rears.

Thanks for welcoming me to the 83 family

• Moderators

I am using Monster Cable that I bought about 10 years ago when I worked at Circuit City and was able to buy all my Monster Cable interconnects at 75% off. That shows you how much markup they have on cables. They probably still made money off me.

As far as bananna plugs, I bought these on Ebay. That is actually my winning bid. They shipped from Hong Kong but didn't take long to get here. I really like the Nakamichi's. Makes it easy to change in and out and fit perfect on the RF-83's. I will need to get some more for the rest of the speakers once I order them. You can see a closeup of them here.