Denon 2808 vs. 3808

98_1LE_2

I am a little over budget for my HT upgrade and would like to save a little on the receiver. The rest of the system is listed in my sig, although much of it is on order and not here yet.

Regardless the original plan was to buy the 3808. I don't need the extra power, plan to use the receiver to switch HDMI, and am curious if there are other compelling reasons to pay the extra for the 3808?

At the $800-$1000 price point, is there another receiver I should consider?

The items that caused me to choose the 3808CI were:

HDCD Decoder
USB Connection
Network Connection
MP3 / WMA Decoder
HDMI Inputs

The USB input is handy - you can play MP3s from a hard drive. It also has a network connection and you could play MP3s from another computer. If you don't care about any of these features, and you don't need any of the extra inputs, ect. you might not need the 3808.

Doug

If I am not mistaken, the only the 3808 and up has the GUI menu. Whether or not that is a plus I still am not sure; I found the menu more confusing on my 3808 than my 2807. The extra HDMI imputs are a definate plus. As for any other receivers in that price range, Onkyo comes to mind. I have owned an Onkyo and I didn't like it at all. It was an older model(574 from 2006 I think) so it didn't have HDMI and that was a big bummer.

I just went through this myself last weekend and decieded on and bought the 3808. I felt i wanted a receiver i could grow into and also really liked the GUI demo at the store. Also the the extra HDMI ports and the fact that I can get get software upgrades weighed in heavily as well.

My dealers price diffirence on the two was 300 bucks and after what I had already spent seemed to be a drop in the bucket looking at things overall.

Not sure yet but I dont think I am totally sold on the Audyssey program yet. It seems to lack bass in movies and stereo. Still playing with this feature.

I just went through this myself last weekend and decieded on and bought the 3808. I felt i wanted a receiver i could grow into and also really liked the GUI demo at the store. Also the the extra HDMI ports and the fact that I can get get software upgrades weighed in heavily as well.

My dealers price diffirence on the two was 300 bucks and after what I had already spent seemed to be a drop in the bucket looking at things overall.

Not sure yet but I dont think I am totally sold on the Audyssey program yet. It seems to lack bass in movies and stereo. Still playing with this feature.

It seemed the same to me too, I ended up just turning the subwoofer gain up to compensate until I was satisfied. I was happy with the higher frequency sound.

Doug

I am a little over budget for my HT upgrade and would like to save a little on the receiver. The rest of the system is listed in my sig, although much of it is on order and not here yet.

Regardless the original plan was to buy the 3808. I don't need the extra power, plan to use the receiver to switch HDMI, and am curious if there are other compelling reasons to pay the extra for the 3808?

At the $800-$1000 price point, is there another receiver I should consider?

onkyo sr 805 ?

Thanks everyone.

One thing I want to be sure of in advance is video signal upconversion. The signal out of my DVR is 1080i (Uverse). Would there be any issues connecting the DVR to the reciever using component and fiber optic, having the receiver upconvert the signal to HDMI? Right now I only have two sources, Blu-Ray and Uverse. If I go with the 2808 and connect as previously stated, that would leave one HDMI for growth.