More Khorn Fun - Nothing About Crown Amps

cjgeraci

No discussion of crown amps by me. But, for the record, I like (and use) both pro amps and tube amps.........

Just an update on my morphing Khorns. As some of you recall, my Khorns have seen quite the journey. From Al Klappenberger's Trachorns to ALK universals to ALK Extreme Slope crossovers to various new tweeters. Then, we went active and took them to two ways with new Altec 902 drivers. Recently, I added JBL 8 inch pro drivers to the mix (2118s) to handle some mid-bass duties since the Khorn always was suspect in the 200-500 range.

Now, for some completely different...........I decided to try something else in the mid-bass and bass region. Well - - - I have this nice set of Walnut Forte Is. So, voila.....

For the time being, the Fortes have had "relations" with the Khorns. I'm crossing over the Fortes to the Trachorns at 800-1000 hz at higher spls and the Fortes to the Trachorns at 2000-2500 hz at lower to moderate volumes. The nice thing about actives is you can play around on the fly. Cutting off the bottoms at 250 hz sometimes - and sometimes not. Regardless, I'm really liking the latest morph.................

post-13160-1381936642863_thumb.jpg

Heh, heh, heh ...........thanks Daddy.

Oh, btw, one other thing remains constant up front. I've discovered that I really, really love the sound of Trachorns with Altec 902s - so long as you cross them over from 800 hz - 1000 hz on the bottom end. They do the top end really well, presumably up to 20 by themselves - and sound great doing it. And, the Sonic Super T is a great compliment to the 902s. They stopped making the Super T recently. I may have to find one used if I go active in the rear with the Belles - and go to 902s.

Carl.

Thanks, Mark. Given how great that they sound, I'll take that as a compliment.

In each Forte, I'm actually using the woofer (and passive radiator) plus the mid horn. The nice thing about running such interesting "monstrous" speakers with active crossovers is that I can adjust the crossover point between the Forte and the upper Trachorn/Altec horn on the fly depending on source, music type and listening volume. Most of the time, I'm just using the mid horn of the Forte a little bit - and then into the upper Trachorn. However, when I really lean into the speakers, spl-wise, I usually adjust the crossover point to eliminate the Forte's midhorn altogether, simply because the larger horn (and Altec driver) on top can handle the higher volumes in the 700-1000 hz range better without much distortion, which is my ultimate goal.

And for now, I'm still playing around. I still have the four JBL eight inch woofers that can go up to 3000 hz nicely, if need be. Using the JBL woofers instead of the Fortes 12 inch woofer/mid horn also worked very well for mid bass/midrange duties, and I have not made a final decision yet as to what will permanenty sit on top on the Khorn bass bin. I only know for now that either approach is an improvement in the mid bass/midrange area over requiring the larger horn to go down that low - and thus one of the two radiator approaches will likely remain with the Khorns.

Carl.

Those Belles look mighty fine to me !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, yes - they do. That pair of Belles are probably the one set of speakers that I will never sell. To me, Belles are fine pieces of furniture, and the best looking speakers that I've seen. And of course, probably set up, they are not too shabby sonically.

Mine have had to undergo a series of mods - so that they can keep up with the big boys in front. I use the 7.1 for movies, but when listening to music, I usually run the front Khorns and rear Belles.........

Carl.

Awsome, Awsome.... You ought to see carl in his Labcoat as he attaches the Clips to the electrodes on his kneck. He now has the dark circles around his eyes...And the wild stare of a crazed scientist. as he reaches for the volume control for the final JOLT...

Dean, I'm taking a Crown PL4 down so Carl doesn't go unrepresented.

A friend has goosed the DuKanes up a little, so they are about 250 wpc now. They can challenge the Crown from the rear speakers. Carl can get whiplash with either tubes or SS doing the Dokken headsnap.