One more time, with FEELING...

Mallette

To all:
Many tohanks for your kind responses. I am a bit overwhelmed. I have been happy with my work, but being isolated from critical listeners never really had any objective judgements. Tis only by a jury of ones peers that the qualities of one's efforts be judged.

You've moved me to dust off the mikes, which have lain stored since my move to Houston and isolation from any arts community. I am not sure where I will start. I've always had a dream of recording a complete Anglican high mass with all male choirs. Sarum plainsong is a last-generation chant from about the 9th century that is hauntingly beautiful and in excellent acoustics would cure most spiritual ills. Perhaps I can interest the cathedral in such a project and get Loft to distribute. If so, it will be largely through your comments...

If there are any techies out there who can make sense of these pencil nerds (said with affection!) perhaps you can help me figure out how to set up a TeraStation (Original) HD-H1 OTGL/R5 for anonymous ftp. I understand it can be done, but it's out of my league. I have a second unit not in service I would not be concerned about experimenting on under proper supervision.

Here is a link to the wiki: http://nas-central.org/index.php/Main_Page Click on "Buffalo" logo.

Regards,
Dave

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 317 attempts, I am finally listening to these incredible recordings for the first time. And on my new-to-me Khorns none-the-less. Stunning.

In fact, I moved some furniture around, one of the horns is now backed up against the counter in my kitchen so it had a corner and I can get some distance between the two. I'm across the room, way out of the sweet spot, but am going to go move a chair and do some serious listening. It's a good thing it's not a school night; I'll likely be up till morning listening to my new toys.

Thank You, Dave. You do fantastic work, magnitudes better than what we get accustomed to commercially, the love and dedication really shows. Looking forward to more should the server thing get all figured out. Good luck, I'd help, but I'm likely less skilled at what you're trying to accomplish than you are.

Your server will not allow me to log in. What could I be doing wrong?

Hard to tell. Look back through the thread for tips. You cannot log in, as this is anonymous ftp. With IE, you SHOULD be able to simply go to ftp://ftp.mallette.org and either drag and drop or open a Windows Explorer window and save the files.

Good luck. I'll be changing these out today if I get the time.

Dave

Don't change 'em out quite yet, Dave...I'm downloading the WAV files as I type this...

Can't wait to hear your recordings. If only I could turn back the hands of time when our pipe organ was in peak performance and the MIDI files were updated/reedited...those would've been stellar recordings IMHO!

No rush right now. No organ in this bunch, but I'll likely stick up some in the next batch. I've a Bradley Hunter Welch recording of the Widor you-know-what done on the instrument whose acqusitiion I chaired at Annunciation, Lewisville that is pretty outstanding, IMHO. Unfortunately, there was a couple of power fluctuations during the concert that caused some very small, but audible, drops. Broke my heart and I learned to carry a UPS from then on.

Live and learn.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Dave

You could do it the old fassion way. Send me a DVD of the files burned on it in a data format, I will make as many copies as I can before the Klipsch gathering and pass out to those who want them, from then on it will be a pyramid scheme. I will buy the first bundle of DVD's myself, if more than 50 are wanted then someone else can chip in.

Nice offer and interesting thought. When is said gathering? I have access to a high speed DVD printer/duplicator and this would not be hard. I could just make up 50 or so and send them to you to hand out. What would really get my interest would be use of them as reference material at such a meet.

This would be just like what I am doing here...I'd expect only critique and comment from those receiving as I've no plan for this to ever be a business. Not that I wouldn't like to have an occasional paid gig for Loft, Linn, or similar to help cover the costs of this devastating disease.

Dave

PS - As we speak, I am going through the files and selecting the replacement material. I'll warn before the switch, but get'em now if you want this bunch.

No rush right now. No organ in this bunch, but I'll likely stick up some in the next batch. I've a Bradley Hunter Welch recording of the Widor you-know-what done on the instrument whose acqusitiion I chaired at Annunciation, Lewisville that is pretty outstanding, IMHO. Unfortunately, there was a couple of power fluctuations during the concert that caused some very small, but audible, drops. Broke my heart and I learned to carry a UPS from then on.

Live and learn.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Dave

After about 15 minutes of download time, I plugged in my li'l Sennheiser CX500 earbuds into the ProMedia 2.1's control pod for a critical first listen via WMP (I'll eventually burn a CD for playback on my stereo system; I couldn't wait to listen now)...this is my first impressions on Dave's remarkable recording style, equipment, and technique:

• St. James Infermary - OMG!
  • Earth and All Stars - NO F***IN' WAY!
  • Brahm's Andante - THE CRICKETS ARE IN ATTENDANCE!
  • Claire de Lune - MORE BENCH SQUEAKS!
  • Mozart - OMG AGAIN!
  • Handel on the Stand - I'M GOBSMACKED!

I now weep tears of sadness knowing what could've been regarding Dave wanting to record our organ...[:'(]

The meeting is June 20-21. I can hand them out and make sure some klipsch people get them, and I am SURE they will get put in some of the players at klipsch with all of the interest that is had on this forum. If you your email or klipsch allias on the dvd I would imagine it would remind people to respond with comments. I have listened to the first several and am very impressed as are many others. My band recorded an album and although a different genre the sounds on these are much more lively. The single most frustrating thing for me when listening to music is having good/great equipment and not being able to listen to a interesting, well preformed, well recorded piece of material. Often you can find some part of the first two...but when listening to anything out of popular music (and have heard good music live) you can feel a big hole in the music that is realism. I will pm you my info.

I'll chip in on Tom Mobley's excellent offer if it's needed.

Dave, maybe you and Tom should start a thread on the server thing (way over my head) in General. I suspect there are more computer tech heads on the Forum that haven't viewed this thread. Heck, for all we know there's somebody with an extra 10 gig lying around on their own server they'd toss your way.

I will suggest a headline:

" Not OT: Help Me Set Up a Music Server"