No Sony?

Drooby

I've been educating myself on Klipsch and HT combos. I've learned that my Kg4s are a good start for the mains. I'm in the market for a new digital receiver to replace an old Denon. Both my DVD/CD player and VCR are Sony pieces and I thought that I would get a Sony DTS to match. There isn't a single mention of Sony's stuff. Is it sacriledge to pair Sony w/Klipsch? Also, it seems that the overwhelming favorite is the Outlaw 1050, so I'll begin looking into that.

Comments?

There are just a few too many problems with pink noise with Sony receivers. That has been my experience along with many others here on this BB. I prefer Denon and ONKYO, HarmonKardon (spelling...errrr) and Yamaha and Marantz...

if you have the money and style Smile.gif,

quote:

the Aragon Stage One, a new high-end THX® Ultra2 Certified preamplifier and processor with a built-in tuner. This technologically enhanced unit supports 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 decoding for todays most popular digital formats including DTS-ES and THX® surround EX.

and it only costs $4000! What a steal! LOL!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

i really like my sony receiver, but they are no longer available in this model. i sell and install sony, yamaha, and integra by onkyo receivers all the time. no special problems noted...the yamaha and integra brands have better build quality(perhaps*)/longer warranties than the standard-line sonys. avman.

*any brand can break/have d.o.a.problems

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 on the way!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/$22 vinyl pull-down window shade 'screen'-rough side out

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

I use a mini Sony RB5 receiver / CD player (two channel) to drive the Forte II pair. It is dead quite and great sound. The OEM speakers are 4 ohms and thus this might be a factor.

I'd agree that hiss is a potential problem with any brand. You probably can't be certain without testing. In HT systems, the hiss seems to always be worst in the modes which use DSP. That is what you have to look out for.

Gil

I use a Sony STRDE-925 receiver ($200/used) in my HT set-up and I have no complaints (note: I don't use this receiver for 2 ch.). While I'm sure Dennon, Marantz, Outlaw, etc... all make some better sounding receivers they are all alittle more money. Sony ES gear stacks up well w/these other brands in the same price range IMHO. There are some advantages to using all Sony components (TV, VCR, DVD, Receiver) such as the "s-link" feature...but that won't make your system sound any better. I gotta admit I really like that silly blue light that indicates a DD or DTS signal is being received.

Dave

yea my sony de935 has that lfe level display. wish my higher end & more expensive units had that.

my b&k has some noise in the klipsch horn tweeters when nothing's playing & i stick my ear right up there. they don't use mute circuits by design. that way the channels are truely discrete.

just saying some of the better sounding units (when playing) can have some noise when material is not playing, & when u're switching. noise floor when idle & quality playback can be 2 different things.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I litterally stumbled upon a new pair of KLF20's marked half off in a local store. I bought them without even hearing them, just because I liked the way they looked. My roomate has a Sony 333ES receiver which we use to drive them. Instantly I fell in love with these speakers. I think they sound fantastic with the Sony receiver. Since then, I've demod just about everybody's HT I work with, and the Sony/Klipsch setup we've got is far better than than any other setup I've heard. And the vast majority cost twice as much as my roomate and I have paid. I checked today for any hiss coming from the speakers and didn't hear anything. You will get no complaints from me. And someone mentioned earlier that if you purchase all Sony equipment, they all link together via the S-Link. All the equipment we have got is Sony, and that little link comes in handy sometimes.

Matt

I have love my Sony/Klipsch combo. I would recommend looking at the ES line if you are concidering going that route. You can find deals on used ES receivers as I did and get a great price. I found my DA777ES for $850.00 online and love it. I also ran my KLF's on a DA333ES ($395 online) before upgrading and they sounded wonderful as well.

Mike

------------------

Sony STR-DA777ES

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-10 surrounds

2 x Velo SPL1200 subs

Sony SCD-CE775 SACD

Sony DVP-NC600 DVD

Sony 32" TV

HTS-2500 power center

I played around with a friend's Sony STR-AV720 (1990?). It had multiple inputs, about 80 watts and many features. Sony equipment seems to have lots of features, which is good if features is what you are looking for; and most typical stereo shoppers are. It easily powered my big old horns without any problems and could even make them quite LOUD without any overt signs of clipping. They exhibited the flat, dry, probably very accurate, sound that typifies all low price solid state equipment. The bass is there, but there is nothing charming about the mid-range. The treble is there too, but there is nothing charming or enticing about the mid-range. The Sony receiver sounded better when matched to a my friend's pair of Infinity bookshelf speakers. That combination sounded better together than his receiver on my horns or my Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour tube amps on his bookshelf speakers. The Sony sounded better on the Infinites, but there still was nothing charming about the mid-range. The Denon is very highly recommended on this site and the Outlaw is very highly recommended here and on other sites.

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

I can't comment on the normal Sony equipment but I have the DA555ES and it makes my klipsch come alive. I have never heard any hiss or other detractable sound comming from my reference series Klipsch. I think that you should just audition some receivers and pick the one that has the features, price and sound that you like.

------------------

Come on honey why can't I spend some more money?

• 6 years later...
Hello,I'm a newbie to these forums myself :)I'm using a pair of Klipsch RF-62s (and a Sony sub) with a Sony STR-DG1100 ($899 at sony.com -- paid $499 at costco). At low volumes, they are perfect match, but I like to listen to music at higher volumes and that is the time when my Sony DG1100 shows it really sucks even though it has relatively low THD. I need to mention that I also have an old Marantz receiver (SR-66 -- marketed in Europe and Asia in mid 1990's) and even though it drives ~80 Watts per channel vs sony's 100W per channel, it sounds way better than my new Sony at higher volumes. Driving the RF-62s with Sony at high volumes, the sound coming out of the tweeters is too sharp and sometimes irritates the ears, yet I can't say the sound gets distorted, it's just not as clear as the sound produced by my 12 year old Marantz receiver. Unfortunately, it's too late for me to return the Sony receiver. Once, I got a chance to connect a pair of cheap Sony speakers (model: SSF5000) to the DG1100 and they responded better than what I have now. This is not to say RF-62's are not good; the fact is that my Sony STR-DG1100 is not a good match for rf-62s. Therefore, I do not recommend matching this type of Sony receiver with Klipsch speakers.